PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wheel bearing replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jul 2020, 12:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Wheel bearing replacement

Hi All,

Looking at replacing my front driver side wheel bearing on my 2002 PT cruiser as it is bad. I did the same one about 10 years ago so its not difficult from what I remember. Back then though, once I removed the hub assembly I took it to a local shop and they pressed the old out and pressed the new one in. I am going to do this next week and this time I have access at work to a small manual 10 ton press. I am wondering what the steps/precautions are to pressing the old out and then pressing the new in. I may attempt myself if not to difficult but I have heard that there are serviceable and non serviceable hubs and the latter is much more difficult to press out bearings and mechanics usually refrane from doing it. Not sure what types is on the PT cruiser. Any help will be appreciated. Thx
Old 01 Aug 2020, 06:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Wheel bearing replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraft View Post
Hi All,

Looking at replacing my front driver side wheel bearing ... I have heard that there are serviceable and non serviceable hubs and the latter is much more difficult to press out ... Not sure what types is on the PT cruiser.
Depends on what your definition of non serviceable is. On my 04 one of the hubs had wear from the bad bearing. Replaced the bearing and hub. If I didn't, the new bearing wouldn't have lasted very long.
It's been a couple years, but as I remember, the tricky part was removing the inner bearing race from the hub. I cut a groove in it then cracked it with a chisel.
Old 01 Aug 2020, 08:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Donít forget to install the ground strap or you will ruin the new bearings as static electricity pits the race and there goes your new bearings
Old 02 Aug 2020, 08:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Just remove the knuckle
And take it to your local
Shop..
They press in and out..
I've done several, , it your best
bet...