Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
peeling wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2004, 07:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Default peeling wheels

Ok... I was a good girl and did a search and found a couple posts about this. Is this a problem on certain years? I have a 2002 Limited Edition with 25,000 miles on it. I got it this past December.

I'm bringing it in on Monday to have the bumpers taken care of (they were really good about it too!) and will be mentioning this, but am more curious about it.

Any more info you guys can tell me?
Thanks TONS!!

Old 26 Jul 2004, 01:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2002 LE and had the same problem with my wheels peeling on the inside of the rim with only 15k. I brought them to the dealer in June and they replaced them under warranty, no questions asked. They told me that technically they are only supposed to replace them if the chrome is peeling on the front of the rim, but they said eventually it would make it to the front so they replaced them. This should be covered under your warranty. Hope this helps!
Kevin

2002 Inferno Red Limited Edition|K&N FIPK|Bassani Exhaust|17x7 Eagle Alloy Chrome 192 BFG KDW| 225/45/17|Progress Sway bars|Eibach Lowering Springs| Tokico Blues|Strut Tower Brace|Hood Struts|Color Matched Bezel|Lighted Entry Guards
Old 27 Jul 2004, 12:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

My PT is a 2001 with 51k miles. My guess there is no help for me to take my wheels into the dealer to have them replaced? I dont know what the warenty are on these cars, and since I bought it used, I dont think I would have one anyways. I bought the car in December, and the wheels were already like that. The chrome is pealing on the face of the rims on all but 1 wheel, but all wheels have the pealing on the inside. This is a TX car too, so I dont understand why it would peel so bad, and so quick. The car had 46k miles when I bought it.

Matt

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre
Old 28 Jul 2004, 02:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

The way I've had it explained to me is that chrome & aluminum don't get along with each other like chrome & steel. Notice Chrysler now doing chrome "cladded" plastic wheel covers now? Even on the Dodge pick-ups it's plastic! There are better plating process available on a custom level, but with OEM, highly unlikely.

Eventually, it is going to fail. Look for bubbling around those old skool wheel weights. If you drive them in winter, the road salt will not be kind either.