PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ouch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2004, 01:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yobiebs
Default Ouch

Got brand new Continental Touring CV95's put on last evening. Mainly because the dealer told me that the shake in my steering wheel was due to a busted radial belt in my stock goodyears. So a good couple bucks later, the install guy comes and tells me that I have 2 (yes, 2!) bent rims. NO!!!!

So now I've got nice new tires, but still a shaking steering wheel.

What do you guys think, are rims repairable? (i've heard arguments on both sides of this) Or should I scrap it and buy new ones? Neither of them are visibly bent anywhere, but when they're on the spinning machine, you can see it pretty clearly. Main thing is that I don't want to mess up the wear on my new tires by having these rims all messed up.

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old 27 Jul 2004, 01:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ouch is right! Dunno if you have any place that repairs wheels near you - the ones I've seem you send the rims to them - what do you do in the meantime?

If shaking is bad, tire wear isn't only issue - can't be doing wheel bearings any good, either....

I'd price stock and then look at aftermarket options...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Jul 2004, 06:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Chrome stock GT rims are $600! Had to replace one, (hit a curb hard and took out a big chunk) trying to avoid getting hit by a pushy lady in a humungus pick up truck. OUCH!!!
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sounds to me like these guys just want to blame their incompetence on something. Try to find someone who knows what their doing. Ask these turkeys how they found the wheels are bent and I would bet they just looked at it and said it is bent. My wife's car has a bent edge on one wheel ( you can see it and there is no vibration ) so I doubt this is the problem. The only way to really check the wheel is to dismount it and check it with a runout gauge
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yobiebs

They showed me one of the two wheels on a machine of of the car that just spins the wheel with the tire on it (sorry I don't know the technical term), and it was quite obvious that there was something wrong based on how the wheel was shaking. Also, the guys at this tire place are friends with my dad, I don't think they'd mislead me about it...

The Philadelphia Flyer
Old 28 Jul 2004, 02:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Do you recall hitting something so hard as to cause TWO rims to be tweak? Were they both located on the front? Did they spin the rim without the tire, weights and valve stem?

Personally, I would go aftermarket. Try a place like www.wheelmax.com or www.discounttiredirect.com etc. You will be surprised how affordable a complete setup is. The OEM wheels appears to be marginal in durability from what you have pointed out. No sense in chasing good money after bad and reinforcing the greed out there...