Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need advice for suspension change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2004, 03:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need advice for suspension change

I'm ready to take the plunge and invest in a new suspension system. From what I've noted on this forum is that it's best to do shocks and springs at the same time. I am not a very agressive driver; therefore, desire everything in moderation. Since I have a '03 will need a rear sway bar. I wish no more than a 2" drop in the rear with mininium in the front Price-wise, I wish to stay in the mid-range as I don't feel I would do high end products justice plus I'm cheap. I've already added a strut bar which I feel by itself makes a difference. Please advise on what you feel are good combinations of springs, shocks and sway bars. Thanks
Old 17 Aug 2004, 12:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

I picked up my GoldLine springs slightly used (about 4000 miles on them) for $90 shipped. Added Tokico gas shocks/struts for $265 off eBay. My Eibach antisway bars arrived yesterday but I'm still waiting for the rear installation kit - price including rear install kit and shipping about $375.

The GoldLines dropped the car 2" rear and 1/5" front and I really like the look. The Tokicos probably offer the best bang for the buck - Konis are almost double the price and require a bit of modification work to fit. The combination works really well; yes, the ride is a bit firmer than stock, but there is no bounciness or harshness. Adding the Eibachs should do wonders for the handling overall. Oh, and I have a strut tower brace as well, BTG.

You have a few choices in springs and I think they all give a very similar ride (as long as you're comparing 2" drop to 2" drop, not 3" slammers!) so if you're seriously cost concious make sure you shop around and compare shipping prices as well. The full setup will transform the look, ride and handling of your car.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 04:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the response. I believe we are on the same page. I was considering basically the same combination...just needed confirmation that I was on the right track.
[^]
Black 2003 5sp, airaid box, black & chrome smoothies, chrome bumpers, PTeaser retro mirrors, door spears, cups, head light covers, custom tail lights, custom grille, shorty ant., magnaflow exhaust system, lowered and sway bars.
Old 19 Aug 2004, 04:40 am
Senior Cruiser

Happy to help

Keep us posted and let us know what you do and how you like it. Always nice to add to the "database".
Old 20 Aug 2004, 04:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Have to agree with Mike-in-Orange, I also have the Goldline Spring/Tokico Shock set-up and I am totally happy with the results. My 03 N/A is a daily driver, so I wanted a lowering spring that was a little less agressive than the Eibachs(and cheaper). If your not to into using Ebay, try shox.com for the Tokicos for $269.00. They have the best price I could find on the web. Also, try hyperformanceauto.com for the Goldline lowering springs for $179.40 to your door. I think dollar wise this is the best set-up you can go with. Would recomend to everyone. Good luck.[?]
Old 20 Aug 2004, 11:08 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Heh, Graveone, are you sure? []

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 20 Aug 2004, 12:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, sometimes I stutter[xx(]
Old 20 Aug 2004, 05:43 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:PTGT Redman Posted - 08/20/2004 : 10:08:27 AM
Heh, Graveone, are you sure?
Hey, if wants to agree with me THAT much, I say let him[?]
Old 16 Oct 2004, 01:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had goldline springs and tokicos installed yesterday and feel it was the best mod I have done so far. I want to thank you Mike and Graveone for your imput as I am one happy camper with this addition. I took a test drive on some curves and feel this upgrade is well worth the money in performance and the look is what I had envisioned. As I am not mechanically inclined, I am not able to imput much, so feel this forum is very helpful for people such as I. This is due to people like you who are willing to share their expertise. Thanks again.
Black 2003 5sp, airaid box, black & chrome smoothies, chrome bumpers, PTeaser retro mirrors, door spears, cups, head light covers, custom tail lights, custom grille, shorty ant., magnaflow exhaust system, lowered and sway bars.
Old 17 Oct 2004, 01:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:bluewasp Posted - 10/16/2004 : 12:55:44 AM

I want to thank you Mike and Graveone for your imput as I am one happy camper with this addition.
Like I said before, happy to help Graveone, feel free to agree multiple times again!.