Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brake Rotors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2004, 10:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Brake Rotors

I had asked a machanic what the cost of replacing pads with ceramic, he quoted me $140.00. By reading PTdiy, I feel I can repace just the pads myself. He mentioned that the rotors had to have work done to them, remove "glazing"[:I]. I only have 29K on the cruiser, but am tired of the brake dust.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 10:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hooligan,

Since you think you can change the pads yourself and save money, why not take the rotors off also since it's only a couple more steps and take them to a shop to have them turned down. Shouldn't cost very much since you did all the work for them.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 07:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooligan

I had asked a machanic what the cost of replacing pads with ceramic, he quoted me $140.00. By reading PTdiy, I feel I can repace just the pads myself. He mentioned that the rotors had to have work done to them, remove "glazing"[:I]. I only have 29K on the cruiser, but am tired of the brake dust.
MY OPINION.
Unless you have a pulsing in the pedal when you hit the brakes hard, just put in the new pads. I did, at more miles than you, and I now have about 77,000 on the PT overall. I'm replacing rotors next pad change.
The rotors aren't that thick to begin with and turning takes away some thickness. MY OPINION.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Aug 2004, 04:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That is what I figured when he told me that. I'll plan on changing the rotors next time, unless a pulsating shows up before then.

In reading the instructions, it mentions using a "C" clamp to compress the actuating valve to force the brake fluid back to the fluid container, any one have a idea what size clamp can be used? The PT is our only driver and I need to know all the answers befor I get started.

I was trained as a diesel machanic in one of my other lives in the Coast Guard, so have the skills, (not many brakes aboard boats!!! not all of the answers.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 05:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hooligan,

You might not have to use the "C" clamp as the old pads might be able to come out without compressing the valve, but if you do need it, the clamp only has to open about 3 to 4 inches or less.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 09:46 am
Senior Cruiser

When I did mine I used a 4" C clamp and a small piece
of 1 by 2 put it over the cylinder.or you can use the old
brake pad.I'm with Don on not turning the rotors.Be sure to take
the cap off the fluid container before pushing the cylinder in and
don't forget to put it back on.

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 29 Aug 2004, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Hooligan,

You might not have to use the "C" clamp as the old pads might be able to come out without compressing the valve, but if you do need it, the clamp only has to open about 3 to 4 inches or less.
Aha! I finally disagree! (sorta) True, old pads will come out, but in order to get new pads in, C-clamp is needed to push piston all the way back - the new pads, being thicker, won't go in otherwise.
I go slow on turning the C-clamp in (use biggest c-clamp I have - 6"?) because I have ABS and don't want to screw up controller.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 08:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[quote]quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Quote:
Originally posted by CREWZIN

Aha! I finally disagree! (sorta) True, old pads will come out, but in order to get new pads in, C-clamp is needed to push piston all the way back - the new pads, being thicker, won't go in otherwise.
Don, I did say that he MIGHT not have to use..., and some cars you don't need to push the piston back.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 09:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to hoopdiewagon

forget the clamp and just use a pair of channelock pliers. Took me 10 mins a wheel to remove and replace rotors and pads. Of course, Ive done it before......[:I]
Old 29 Aug 2004, 09:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.