Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Eibach sway bar installation kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2004, 06:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Eibach sway bar installation kits

I ordered a set of Eibach sway bars from Shox.com the other day. As I have a 2003 without the rear bar, an installation kit is required. Mark at shox.com called Eibach and found that these kits are in short supply...a 2 week back order at present. Eibach states that they will be receiving appox. 12 kits from their supplier (Chrysler??). If you are considering sway bars for a 2003 and up, you might give Mark at shox.com a call. He ordered an extra kit in addition to mine for their stock.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 06:52 am
Senior Cruiser

I hear ya man. I ordered my Eibach anti-sways on 08.10.04 and although I have the bars themselves I'm still waiting on the rear install kit.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 03:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Whats the overall cost?
Old 10 Sep 2004, 04:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

I got mine from a place called Street Demand - they were listed on eBay. I paid about $360 for the bars, rear install kit, shipping.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 04:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Just go to the dealership and order the endlink set and retainer clips, a few bolts and nuts. Bushings come with the bars.
Ordered mine from local dealership for $70.00

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 10 Sep 2004, 10:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Bars are $269.00, kit is $69.00 for total of $338.00 from Shox.com. Shipping to west central Indiana will be appox. $28.00. I went to two dealerships inquiring per the install kit. They both seemed clueless of any "kit". They stated they could order the individual parts needed. I figured they would probably miss something so went with the pre-assembled kit.
Black 2003 5sp, airaid box, black & chrome smoothies, chrome bumpers, PTeaser retro mirrors, door spears, cups, head light covers, custom tail lights, custom grille, shorty ant., magnaflow exhaust system, lowered and sway bars.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 12:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

End link parts from a dealership will be piece by piece. Do a search for rear sway bar, and you will find everything you need.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 02:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Below is a picture of the Eibach rear anti-sway bar hardware kit that I used on my car. I purchased it from TireRack. The part number is 2860.320HKR
[IMG]|2003 PT GT 5-Speed | Mopar Stage 1 | Mopar 2.5\" Dual Exhaust | Mopar Short-Throw Shifter | Mopar HO Plastic Intake | Mopar Boost Gauge | AGP WGA/BOP | APC Carbon Fiber Taillights | Axis 19x8 Wheels/Yokohama 225/35ZR19 Parada Spec2 Tires | BTG Strut Tower Brace | BTG Billet Shorty Antenna | Eibach Anti-Sway Bars | HKS SSQV BOV | JLM Motor/Tranny Mounts | KW Variant 1 Coilovers | Maxxfab 3\" Downpipe | NGK Iridiums | Prototypepower UCP/CAI v5 | PTeazer Smoothie Roll Pan | Screamin\' Demon Coil/Livewires | StopTech Slotted Rotors/Hawk HPS Pads/Stainless Steel Lines | Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley|
Old 12 Sep 2004, 07:36 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

From what I heard if you add the rear sway bar you need to get a heavier front bar to compensate the balance. any thoughts?
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 13 Sep 2004, 01:22 am
Senior Cruiser

Gary, I think you should get a front and rear set that are designed to work together. The deletion of the factory rear sway bar will make the PT much more prone to understeer than it was when the factory bar was standard. If you install an overly aggressive rear bar you can easily induce oversteer, which can make the car a handful to control under certain circumstances. For the average driver understeer is a much "safer" condition than oversteer, which is why car companies tend to build it into their cars.

For the record, understeer is the condition where the car wants to push, or continue in a relatively straight line when you turn the wheel. Oversteer is when the rear end wants to step out. With a powerful rear wheel drive car you can induce oversteer by hitting the gas in a corner (Porsche 911 is the classic example); with a front wheel drive car you can often induce oversteer by suddenly lifting OFF the throttle in a tight corner, especially when you've entered that corner too quickly. While an overly aggressive rear bar won't quite make you feel like you're driving a rear drive car on ice, it will move you in that direction.

Of course corner radius, road camber, entry speed, throttle input, etc will all play a factor in whether, and how much, your car oversteers or understeers through any given corner. And yes, the same car can be made to do either in successive corners. Watch a Formula 1 race, listen to the commentators, and you'll get an idea.