Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
lowering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2004, 07:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default lowering

[:I] I have a 03 tourinng and would like to level it out. i live in ny and its a daily driver. Thanks in advance. Also which dual exhaust will give a mellow sound, Metz
Old 12 Sep 2004, 07:33 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Here is my 2 cents. DON'T LOWER IT! as far as the exhaust, BTG is the only way to go. when I lowered my car I had more noises and rattles then ever. I could not wait to take out the springs, save yourself a headache and do something else. just my experience please. Gary
www.ptcruiserlinks.com/garys-cleaning-tips
Old 12 Sep 2004, 07:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Unlike Gary we have had no problems with lowering as we have both my wife's '01 and my '03 lowered with Eibachs. Handling is much, much better. Some folks have lowered just the back to level it out though for the life of me I can't understand why they want to level it out.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 12 Sep 2004, 10:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have the Eibach lowering kit on our daily driver and I think it's the single greatest mod that has been made. The stance of the car is(IMHO) way better than stock and the cornering seems to be helped a bit also. The ride is a little stiffer, not much though. How much driving you do, with what kind of a load and what kind of surfaces you would be driving on may help make up your mind for you. Why not go to a local cruiser club meeting, find a person that has a lowered PT and ask to go for a ride? Some of these choices are very subjective and personal, doing that would probably help answer your questions best.
You may also find some different exhaust systems to listen to, look at and ask questions about in the same group.
I have the Borla catback "duals" and love 'em.
[]
Old 12 Sep 2004, 11:59 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

BTG is not the only way to go. I just got a flowmaster single in/single out, and it sounds great, duals will sound awesome. It's a 40 series muffler, it's very mellow at idle, and when you really get on it it's got a nice deep tone to it.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 01:15 am
Senior Cruiser

If you lower the car it is my personal opinion that you should also upgrade your shocks/struts. The factory units are not made to control the rebound of lowering springs and your rear end (well, your cars actually) will be bouncing all over the place. I also had an issue whereby I was making contact with my BTG cat/back dual exhaust when I had just the springs in (GoldLindes 1.5" front, 2" rear drop). Once I installed the Tokico shocks/struts the rear end settled down and I was no longer banging up against the exhaust.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 02:14 am
Veteran Cruiser

Mike, I think every PT, in some way, must be different. I have Eibachs on both PT's and have no problem with the rear end bouncing all over the place and neither the stock exhaust on the '01 or the Heartthrob on the '03 bangs around. Also, the bumper stops on both PT's were not trimmed by the installer and there is no problem with any bottoming out even with the PT's full of people or gear. Strange, huh.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 13 Sep 2004, 08:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[:I] I have seen alot of cruisers in the Hudson Valley but have not found out where any shows or clubs are. Checked on line and some other pt fouroms. Thank you metz
Old 14 Sep 2004, 12:26 am
Cool Cruiser

[imghttp://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/489000-489999/489241_1_full.jpg/img]
Just go air... Kev
Old 14 Sep 2004, 02:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Hey Mean Green, that is odd. Most people I've spoken in person with had the same experience I did, whether with a GT suspension or otherwise. Then again, the Eibachs may well have a different spring rate than the GoldLines or others - specifically one that the factory shocks/struts can handle. That doesn't make any particular brand any better or worse, just different. Nice little tidbit to add to the "database".