Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Nitrogen Tires?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Sep 2004, 02:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Nitrogen Tires?

I've heard and seen ads for filling your tires with nitrogen. Has anyone else heard of this? What does it do for you performance-wise if anything at all?
Old 20 Sep 2004, 02:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've never heard of that before, what benefit? Ummm[:I]

flames&stripes by \"gator\" 2003 milan dragway \"chrysler classic\" winner
Old 20 Sep 2004, 02:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

I've heard and seen ads for filling your tires with nitrogen. Has anyone else heard of this? What does it do for you performance-wise if anything at all?
Performance-wise, zippo. The nitrogen supposedly does not leak out as readily as air.
Jay Leno in Popular Mechanics say he uses nitrogen in all his car tires (and he has lots...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Sep 2004, 03:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

I can't imagine any real performance gains doing this. Back in my bicycle racing days I remember some guys at the velodrome would do this, but bicycle racing tires are pumped up to around 150psi and the rider is the motor! I wouldn't bother.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 04:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've heard that NASCAR uses Nitrogen in the the race tires. I "think" it has something to do with being predictable whereas air blows up the tire when hot but in varing degrees but Nitrogen is more of an exact cold pressure and blows the tire up when hot to an exact pressure and in racing they want the tire to be an exact pressure for the race.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 05:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

F1 racers use it.

It must be a must for us!

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 20 Sep 2004, 06:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

I read it doesn't contract and expand like air does and doesn't contain any moisture in it. COSTCOS/SAM's Club sells their tires with nitrogen in them and will fill any tires with the same whether you bought them there or not. [:I]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 20 Sep 2004, 07:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

I use nitrogen in my air suspension. I don't see what it will hurt in your tires.[8D]
Old 20 Sep 2004, 10:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Nitrogen has been used to fill tires in professional racing since Christ was a pup for the three reasons variously stated above. First, the nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules and therefore have less of a tendancy to migrate (leak) out through the sidewall of a given tire. This is less of a benefit to street tires than race tires due to the thicker sidewalls we have. Second, nitrogen expands less when heated than compressed air, which again benefits racers more than the rest of us. Third, compressed nitrogen from a commercial supplier (where else you gonna get it?) has to be dry because it comes from the same source that supplies medical and industrial users. No such luck for the compressed air at the average garage. For my money, find a shop with a good set of filter/driers on their compressor, and don't air up your tires anywhere else if you can help it.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 01:16 am
Young Cruiser

hi all

yes you are all correct. but the biggest beni. would be the dryness.

moisture inside a wheel & tire assy. will start wheel rust, and tire rot.
and more stable pressure is good for long highway speed drives,which keeps tire temps down for longer tire wear.

BUD