Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
knocking sound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Sep 2004, 08:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default knocking sound

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!
Yesterday when I got new front brakes, I asked the mechanic to look underneath the rear of the car to see what is knocking under there. I thought it might be a broken shock or something...but no, it is on the suspension. I am not sure what it is called, and the mechanic didn't know (I was at Meineke). I believe that it is a rear anti sway system, the knocking is coming from the center nut type thingy. (can u tell I am a girl?) Well, at any rate, he told me I need new shocks, which he can't get.
I have 2 questions:
1)Do you think that if I put on new shocks, that will tighten up the center bushing/nut thingy? Or should I replace it?
2)Do I have to go to Chrysler dealer to get the shocks? If so, it is really aggravating to have a 2001 PT that I can't buy parts for in a parts store! Dealer visits often cost me twice what I would pay at my regular mechanics!!!
At any rate, my 2001 PT has 94,800 miles on it. In the past, my power steering pump has been replaced twice (both times under warranty) and had to replace both front axles at 70,000 miles. Other than that, this car has been dependable and goes in the snow great here in SW Pennsylvania. I commuted to Pittsburgh (140 miles round trip) and never missed a days work in 2 years!!! The traction control saved my life, literally, in the winter or I would have been decapitated under a tractor trailer that jacknifed on the ice on the interstate. I keep maintenance up and change the oil faithfully.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 09:11 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You should be able to get shocks at any decent parts store.Meineke is the big problem. You need to find a repair shop that you can trust.
The knocking noise is probably a sway bar link. It's either a loose nut or a balljoint on the sway bar. My 01 had the exact same problem.. It was just a loose nut.
Due to mileage I would replace your front struts and rear shocks. Race and street has a deal for the front and rear shocks for around $200 which is a heck of a good deal. You'll have to find a shop to put them on but that shouldn't be too hard. Heck try Pep Boys or some place like that.
Hope that helps...
Oh and by thr way I work at a Chrysler dealership......
Old 22 Sep 2004, 02:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm having about the same noise (I think) on my 03' TE. There's one problem, 03's don't have the rear sway-bar... but I occasionally get what sounds like knocking when I get in and out of the car. What do ya'll think?
Old 22 Sep 2004, 08:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

At nearly 95,000 miles, shocks are sure to be gone. If there isn't a nut that's loose, there have been lotsa bushing problems - the rubber goes bad - find urethane "Booger bushings" if you can - they are better.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Sep 2004, 09:25 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

the problem is with the bellcrank. it is the center link bearing that holds the rear suspension together. You will need to replace the part. It is $80 at the dealer. I suggest you buy it there and have a shop install it. Dont get ripped off, it only takes about 15minutes to install it and about 30 minutes for the rear shocks.
If there is any play in the bellcrank it should be replaced. If one were to grab the top with one hand and the bottom with the other and try to roch it front to rear is should not move. I noticed a huge difference when i replaced mine, the entire rear suspension could move side to side and would clunk just as described. KYB shocks are an inexpensive replacement that will offer better performance thatn stock but no harsher of a ride.
Old 23 Sep 2004, 07:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Say, Rally -
How many miles on yours? I haven't replaced anything on mine in 78,000 miles, but I take it kinda easy. I think I'm due.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Sep 2004, 09:51 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

heh, just about to hit 70K
In my area we dont have jug handles like in joisey, we have the cloverleaf ramps which are a riot especially when there is an elevation change. anyways, it takes a toll on the suspension, tires, bearings etc. but its fun and i feel that it is worth the enjoyment because i fix it all myself. The center should last pretty good with lower cornering loads and stock ride height.

Two wrongs don't mak a right, but in Jersey three rights make a left.