Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BSA Wheels [xx(]

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2004, 07:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default BSA Wheels [xx(]

When I got my PT, I knew it had to have some aftermarket rims. I went to the local wheel/tire places and spent the morning looking for something with odd number spokes, chrome and as smooth as possible. I like a smoother look, and hate cleaning little lumps and dips. So, I find something I really like and the price is right. Well, 2 months later, 2 of the wheels start peeling. Now, another month after talking to the shop twice, the national distributor twice and still waiting with no answer, I'm going to say DON'T BUY BSA MOTORSPORTS WHEELS. I still like the way they look (except the peeling), but can't trust that even the hoped-for replacements will hold up. I realize it's an "off-brand", but figured I'd give them a try. Hope this will be a warning to the rest of you.
Old 03 Dec 2004, 08:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry to hear about your wheels. That's always a problem when you deal with a small "off-brand" company. They might have good prices, but you have to think about after-care and warranty work. Good luck with your replacements.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 Dec 2004, 02:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, Crewzin. I went in with eyes open, hoping that they would be able to produce a product suitable for the intended use. There was no cost difference among many wheels they had, and I do like the style. I just want to warn others. That's the after-sale part of commerce that many companies forget.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 04 Dec 2004, 09:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

Are they chrome finished or painted? There's a place in here in Arizona in Tucson, called NU Wheel, they'll professionally refinish your wheels for you, even if they've burn curbed they can even remachine them. Cost is about $125 a wheel though. Had two of my rims there in the past, turned out great. lemme know if you wanna get in contact with 'em. [8D]

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 05 Dec 2004, 03:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well, the problem is the finish. It wasn't obvious before the flaking, but the wheels have a Black base coat (powdercoat?) then the polished finish applied over it. It looks like chrome, but in talking to the dist. and the guy in the SEMA booth, they both did not use the word 'chrome', but said 'polished finish'. I really wanted chrome, so any process done to these wheels would require so much time and money to change, I could buy something else new. [V] I really wanted a nice shiny wheel that hadn't been seen on a dozen PTs before. I know that nothing 'sticks' to powdercoat well, and a polished finish is tough to keep on anything. Sounds like the wheel guys didn't think of the long-term. [xx(] Thanks for hearing all this whining. Like I said, I just wanted to warn others...

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 10 Dec 2004, 11:07 am
Cool Cruiser

That sucks that your started to peel. Have you thought about contacting BSA direct to have them repaired. They should be covered by company warranty?
Old 10 Dec 2004, 11:58 am
Cool Cruiser

BSA is a Malaysian company, so contacting them directly is not realistic. I have gone to the store where I bought the wheels twice and called twice. I have also called the US distributor (in Los Angeles) twice, to make sure the local guy is truthful. The story is that none are available for about a month. There is no question that they are willing to swap them out, just unable. I’ve done searches for the wheels in other stores online, and they are not exact finish matches (silver, not polished, or no Black trim).

Old 31 Dec 2004, 05:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'm pretty happy with my American Racing Polished Aero Wheels

Purchased them through Discount Tire.

2003 Classic Edition, 5-speed with 7-ball shift knob, badges removed, dark tint, Borla split exit exhaust, short billett antenna, Nu-Image white-faced blue flamed gauges and 15\" American Racing Aero Wheels.
Old 01 Jan 2005, 01:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.
Do you have any pics of the wheels??

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 04 Jan 2005, 03:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Still have to get some good digital pics, if the weather will cooperate, or get the negatives I took a while ago converted. They are style 291. here is a link, but you must chose BSA Classic 291 to see it.
http://www.bsa.com.my/fproduct.htm

It's funny, this discussion is 3rd or 5th when doing a search. I'll give the local dealer another call next week.