PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tire sidewall bubble. Not covered by warranty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Dec 2004, 12:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Tire sidewall bubble. Not covered by warranty?

According to my dealer, a sidewall bubble is not covered by the warranty. He directed me to the owner's manual. The tire manufacturer information is there. But what good is that going to do to me?

I have a GT with 14K miles, tires are Goodyear.

What are my options? Can a bubble be fixed or does that mean that I have to buy a new tire?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 12:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

contact your local goodyear dealer. tire problems are handled through goodyear and not chrysler.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 03:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Do you know what kind of warranty does Goodyear have on those tires?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 05:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Take RallyRock's advice and just take it to your nearest Goodyear dealer. With only 14K on the tires, they should replace the tire, BUT, they will pro-rate the wear and tear you've already done so a new tire won't be free.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yup, Good-for-a-Year does the tire warranty. Be prepared to be screwed. They pro-rate wear, then take % of life left off an inflated (non-sale) price for the tire....
I would argue that a bulge indicates a manufacturing defect and you shouldn't pay.
Good luck.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Dec 2004, 08:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon

Yup, Good-for-a-Year does the tire warranty. Be prepared to be screwed. They pro-rate wear, then take % of life left off an inflated (non-sale) price for the tire....
I would argue that a bulge indicates a manufacturing defect and you shouldn't pay.
Good luck.
And they will argue it was Road Hazard Damage and Ain't Covered.

I had the same problem:
http://www.epinions.com/content_94534143620

Tirerack.com is my advice. I have had great results with conti extreme's.

http://www.epinions.com/content_122867584644

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 18 Dec 2004, 09:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Sad fact, but 99 times out of 100, a sidewall bulge is the result of impact damage to the tire. On the good side, the boys from Akron are ten times more likely to cut you some slack than Michelin or Bridgestone. I've sold all three at one time or another and have spent too much time as that guy stuck in the middle. If you have a relationship with someone who sells Goodyears, then use it. If not, ask around to find out which tire dealer in your town takes the best care of their customers and do the best you can with them. Remember that if he covers your (likely)pothole damage, Goodyear certainly wont and he'll have the right to expect your business in the future. Good luck!
Old 27 Dec 2004, 01:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

OK. After getting the car back from the dealer they said what we knew they would say. That first of all, it wasn't them warranting the tire, it was Goodyear. Second, that the Goodyear dealer would pretty much find any excuse not to cover the damage or replace the tire.

So bottom line, looks like I have to buy a new tire. But here's my question(s) to you guys.

I hate to buy just one tire because they're now out of order with 3 of them wearing faster than the new one.

Do I buy one pair?

If I buy another brand, what does that do to my car having 2 different pairs in terms of gas mileage, ride or anything else it might affect?

Should I buy another pair of Goodyears to keep them consistant?

If I buy a whole new set of 4 tires, what the heck do I do with the old ones? Do people buy used tires? (Mine have 14K on them).

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 27 Dec 2004, 03:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

The big tire stores will charge you to take the old tires. If there is a "wrong side of the tracks" area near you, a new/used store will buy the used ones from you. There has been much discussion about the original tires, and if it's in your budget, get a full set. They aren't as flashy as most mods, but you will be happier and safer. There are various sites that compare tires and describe the ratings, but each car is different. Look at what others here have, and compare how they use the car. You should be able to find a match of performance and price.....

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 27 Dec 2004, 04:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you decide to buy just one tire (not a great idea since the others are probably noticeably worn) you must buy one that matches the other three. If you buy a pair (better idea), it is still best to stay with the same tire brand and thread pattern but you can switch to a different brand and thread pattern if you wish although the handling could be somewhat different with different stickiness on the front and rear. Obviously replacing all four you can go with any brand and thread pattern that you like but it is the most costly.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.