Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lowering Kit and Alignment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2005, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Lowering Kit and Alignment

Just thought I'd pass on my experience at the Chrysler dealership.

Took mine in for the power steering line recall (all was good) and had them do an alignment check. I had installed the Eibach Pro Kit over 60,000 miles ago and never had it aligned or even checked. It tracked straight and tire wear was fine.

The rear end was perfect. The front toe was off -0.2 (both sides) and the camber was off -0.5 (both sides). The tech showed me that by raising the front end (by hand), the camber started to come down towards the Green (within specifications). I guess that's what lowering does.

The tech stated that the toe could be corrected (which he did) but the camber needed a kit ($23.50 for each wheel) and that the kit might not be able to compensate for the difference. He said they didn't have the kits and that the tires would wear on the insides.

I told him that these were brand new 17 inch wheels and tires. but the other tires that I been running for about 20K did not wear uneven, and that I rotated them every 3,000 along with an oil change. He said as long as you rotate them so often, I probably won't see the inside wear.

I checked prices just to see and besides the 2 kits ($23.50 each), I wold have to do a full alignment plus 1 1/2 hours of labor to install the kits.....about $236.00 total.

Think I'll just leave it alone.
Old 06 Jan 2005, 03:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Carey,
You may just want to leave it alone. However, if you like me it will bother you even if you don't see any differences.
Old 06 Jan 2005, 03:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

crewzin.
you can do it yourself for free and all you'll need is an alignment for the front camber only ($50)

the eibach kit consists of only 2 bolts with a cam lobe on it so when the bolt is rotated it moves the steering knuckle.
the eiback kit for the pt cruiser is only $29.00 for BOTH sides.

it replaces the upper bolt on the lower strut mount where it attaches to the steering knuckle.

-.5* more of camber can be a good thing for better cornering. thats how i have mine set up with the alignment kit. Personally i would also just leave it alone as it is the same on both sides.
Old 06 Jan 2005, 06:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, Colby, your right it does nag me a bit. In fact, I took RallyDRock's advice and went on-line to "Drive Wire" and they had the PT Cruiser Eibach Alignment Camber Kit on sale for $20.80 plus $4.95 for shipping (kit is for both front wheels). So I guess I'll have something to do when it arrives. Thanks.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jan 2005, 08:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Actually the Eibach kit is a repackaged Ingalls Engineering Camber adjustment bolt kit. Just look at the part number (81260) and adjustment range +/-2°(actually its 1.75°). They are the same and many companies repackage Ingalls camber bolt kits. The only one that is different is H&R's "Tripple C", part #TC114, which offers adjustments +/-3°. Could probably go to a local auto parts store and ask for a pair for a 2002-2004 Altima, 1995-2003 Maxima, 2001-2002 Honda Civic (not the SI model), 2001-2004 Insight, Hyundai Sonata, etc, or just give them the Ingalls part number and it will work. $20 is the going price for the kit for both sides.
Old 07 Jan 2005, 10:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks Si-Fi. At least I didn't get ripped off by the dealer who wanted $23.50 for each bolt [:0] although I had to pay for shipping, in the long run I saved a bunch. It sounds easy enough to install these bolts....I wonder why the dealer wanted 1 1/2 hours to install them. [:I]

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jan 2005, 11:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You're paying for the alignment plus labor to install the camber kits. As a D.C, tech who specializes in front end work I'lkl tell you that as long as camber doesn't go more than -0.5 degrees don't worry about it. I have found that lowered cars like a little negative camber. When you go past that you may run into tire wear problems unless you are real good about tire rotations.
Just my 2cents worth
Old 08 Jan 2005, 12:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for your input ($.02). What I was referring too was the dealers price of $23.50 per bolt when my on-line purchase, and Si-Fi's input, put the price at about $20.00 for a set, plus 1/2 hours of labor to install those two bolts. The 4 wheel alignment (which I was told that I'd need after the installation of the bolts was another $98 on top of that.

I am "real good" on both oil changes and tire rotation on all my cars. Every 3K. That's probably why I never did see any abnormal wear on the tires, but the -.05 does bother me so I'll try to get it as close to specs as possible.

Old 10 Jan 2005, 12:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Wow Crewzin you rotate your tires every 3000 miles. I am
impressed.I rotate the tires on both Cruisers twice a year.
spring and fall.when I change my wheels for summer and than for winter,

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 10 Jan 2005, 10:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jimbo

Wow Crewzin you rotate your tires every 3000 miles. I am
impressed.I rotate the tires on both Cruisers twice a year.
spring and fall.when I change my wheels for summer and than for winter,
Yea Jimbo, that's what happens when your a car nut and plenty of time to spare. I change the oil and filter and rotate all the tires, that way I get to clean the inside of the rims, check all the tires for small nails and debris and look around for brake problems. Of course that's only on the PT and Vette..the wife's SUV gets a free oil change for life every 4K and it goes until something breaks.