PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tread wear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2005, 09:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to pastorj651
Default Tread wear

Looking to but a new set of rubber for my baby. Performance is not a priorty. Looking to get a lot of miles on them. Can i get some suggestions?
Old 20 Jan 2005, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Michelin.
I won't buy anything else. You can get them at Sears - go by the warranty mileage - mine says 80,000 - I have over 40,000 on them with no visible wear - the Good-for-a-years were shot by then (81,000 + miles total on my PT).

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Jan 2005, 03:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pastorj651

Performance is not a priorty.
Performance is still important, unless you live in Death Valley; Good grip in bad weather can keep your baby out of the body shop.

I got over 20,000 miles on a set of ContiExtremeContacts and they are beginning to show some wear, about half thru their useable treadlife. The little extra 'extreeeeme' grip is (for me) worth the faster wear and juvenile name and interesting noise on textured surfaces.

Michelin is a good choice, as they combine very good perfomance with durability, comfort, and a grown-up name and tread pattern.
I had a set of Michelins that were factory equipment on an old Renault. When the flimsy frog died at 40,000 miles, I salvaged the tires... put them on an old VW beetle and got another 20,0000 before I sold it.

Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 20 Jan 2005, 05:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Fritz is right - wear is usually at opposite of grip. The Michelin hydroedge have a good wet traction rating. Are there grippier tires? ABSOLUTELY. Will the grippier tires wear out sooner? Yes. Tires are a compromise.
I like the Michelin compromise.[:I]