PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing front tires - stick with H rating?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Feb 2005, 12:37 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Replacing front tires - stick with H rating?

My GT Cruiser has 16K miles. My front left tire developed a sidewall bubble and I need to replace it. I don't feel like replacing only one tire and keeping the other 3 old ones so I'm buying a new pair for the front.

The thing is that the stock tires are H rated and I've heard that it's not a good idea to mix different rated tires. Is this true? Other than replacing all 4 tires (which I don't want to do), do I have to stick to H rated tires so that my performance or ride do not get affected?

I checked tirerack.com and the only all season H rated tire they offer for the GT is the same stock Goodyears RSA.

Can you guys offer other suggestions? Comments?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06 Feb 2005, 01:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I would keep the same speed rating on a single axle BUT I would have no problem putting a higher speed rating on the front. Tread pattern is more important than speed rating. Look for a similar tread pattern and go for a pair of new tires.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 06 Feb 2005, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Look up the speed ratings - it's for sustained speed of 100+ MPH - or something like that - overkill in the US. If you're going to lower speed rating (I did) I'd put the lower ones on the rear and move the H rated to front. H typically wear faster than lower speed rated tires, and typically "grab" better.
I have mixed tires by axle, never left-right.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Feb 2005, 02:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Current speed ratings are:
H 130 mph
M 81
N 87
P 93
Q 99
R 106
S 112
T 118
U 124
V 149
W 168
Y 186
Z over 149
Z 88W 168
Z 99Y 186
Z (99Y) over 186

As the GT has a top speed slightly below 130, H is OK but if you really intent to ever drive that fast I would recommend at least a V rated tire. It is OK to go up, just don't go to a lower speed rating than what came on your vehicle.

The load rating is as important or more important than the speed rating (unless you are an Autobahn driver). The PT is front heavy and cornering can transfer a lot of weight to the outside front tire. Get an XL tire or one with a minimum 93 load rating which is 1433 lbs. A higher load rating (higher number) is OK, lower is not good. There are a number of 89 load rated tires available that only carry 1279 lbs per tire.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 07:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Sears can get a pair of Michelin Pilot Alpin for a good price. Are these a good match to the factory Goodyears?
The Michelins are the same size and Sears said they were H rated as well.

I don't know about the tread pattern. I don't know much about it. Are they similar?

Michelin: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Alpin+PA2

Goodyear: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Old 11 Feb 2005, 08:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Are you looking for an all season tire? I believe that the Alpin's Are strictly a winter tire. Definatly not something that you would want to drive all year long, or mismatch on you vehicle.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)
Old 11 Feb 2005, 10:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Coolvirus.....
You can go up in rating but not down. I think the higher rated tires are made with extra care and thus are a better tire all around.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 10:12 am
Regular Cruiser

I'm looking for an all-year round tire. I don't want to be switching tires on every season.

There are some reviews from tirerack.com users that use the Alpins during the summer and they have no complaints.

I don't know. What tires do you guys suggest?
Old 14 Feb 2005, 03:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by coolvirus

I'm looking for an all-year round tire. I don't want to be switching tires on every season.

There are some reviews from tirerack.com users that use the Alpins during the summer and they have no complaints.

I don't know. What tires do you guys suggest?
I have run the Alpins all year round and they do work good but they wear faster, because they are softer rubber compound, So this year I tried the Michelin Harmonys...we had a pile of snow and I have had no problems getting around. I put a lot of miles on the PT this year and the tires are still like new
Old 15 Feb 2005, 02:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Some interesting reading: http://www.autotirecarcare.com/guide/speed.html

You can run a winter tire all year, but why would you? I'm running Michelin Arctic Alpins this time of year, the PT rides and handles like it's on marshmallows. The tires are soft , they wear quickly, they corner like they're about to roll off the rim. But they're great on snow and ice, that's why they're on the car. They come off the first weekend in April.