Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bent Wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2005, 05:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Bent Wheels

I hit a deep pot-hole the other day and now I've got two bent wheels. The front right tire went flat from the hit, but when re-filled, it held the air. The rear right tire never went flat. I experienced vibration after this event, so I took it in to a tire/alignment shop.

The tire shop (Craven Tires in Arlington VA) advises me that the rear right wheel (the one that did NOT go flat) is "condemned" by the technician, and the other one should be replaced.

He also advises me that the stock 17" chrome wheels (GT) cost $750 a piece to replace. OUCH!

He recommends selecting some cheaper 17" chrome wheels that would cost $900 to $1,000 for all four wheels.

Is this adviseable? Are they likely to be good wheels? It's a Goodyear tire shop, and I'm considering going to Sears instead since I'll need to replace at least two tires as well, and that way I'll have a better selection to choose from.

If I decide to have everything done at Goodyear, what Goodyear tire do you recommend for general purpose (non-racing) use by someone with a lead foot driving in Virginia (occasionaly snow). I know some of you hate the Goodyear stock tire, but I assume some Goodyears are pretty good (I may be wrong).

Thanks,
Joe
Old 11 Feb 2005, 05:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Go to http://www.tirerack.com/ to see lots of wheels on your car. you can even select the paint color. Many places have package (wheel/tire/mount/balance/valve stem) deals. You can do a search for tire reviews. I'd avoid the manufacturer's stores, unless they can match complete prices. I worked for one, and the business practices weren't the best. Remember to get quotes for 'out the door' to compare. Good luck, and remember that brakes, tires and suspension aren't areas to save a couple dollars. A 10 foot difference in stopping distance is the difference between scary and smash...

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 11 Feb 2005, 06:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Purple,

I agree, I don't want to go "cheap" on the tires and wheels, but often high price does not mean quality.

The Goodyear dealer is recommending Toyo Proxes T1S tires. Unfortunately TireRack.com doesn't list Toyos, but Tiresavings.com
shows:
Treadwear Traction Temperature
Toyo Proxes 280 AA A
Goodyear Assurance
Tripletread 740 A B
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS 300 AA A
Michelin Hydroedge 800 A B

I like the traction, but I am a bit concerned about the Treadwear. I'm thinking that for once in my life I'll get the short-lived, good traction tires. Then, once they're worn out, I'll decide whether it was worth it for my next set of tires.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by purple04

Go to http://www.tirerack.com/ to see lots of wheels on your car. you can even select the paint color. Many places have package (wheel/tire/mount/balance/valve stem) deals. You can do a search for tire reviews. I'd avoid the manufacturer's stores, unless they can match complete prices. I worked for one, and the business practices weren't the best. Remember to get quotes for 'out the door' to compare. Good luck, and remember that brakes, tires and suspension aren't areas to save a couple dollars. A 10 foot difference in stopping distance is the difference between scary and smash...

http://www.pbase.com/robinjoe/pt_cruiser
Old 11 Feb 2005, 06:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

I got a correction from the dealer. It was the wheel with the tire that went flat that needs to be replaced. That makes more sense.

One option is to replace the really bad wheel ($750), and just repair the other one (bend it back to shape). The damage is on the inside (not visible unless you crawl under the car).

Does anyone have experience with repairing wheels?
Is it recommended?

I'd like to put that extra money into a good set of 4 tires instead of the current plan to replace 2 tires.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 11 Feb 2005, 07:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The biggest advantage to replacing the wheels is to get wider wheels than the stock 6" rims. That opens up new opportunities for tire replacements now or in the future.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 08:29 pm
Young Cruiser

$750 FOR ONE WHEEL!!!

You can get an entire set of NEW aftermarket wheels that would be stronger and lighter than the factory wheels. Now I love the way the factory wheels look but I beleive I would have to go aftermarket on that one.

Check out www.tirerack.com like Purple04 suggested. Or you acn try Discount Tire. Their site is www.tires.com if you look on their site they have a link to their Ebay store and you Can get some great deals on there.

I purchased a set of 17" ENKIE DM-5 wheels for another vehicle for under $250.00 and they are in perfect condition?
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)
Old 11 Feb 2005, 08:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by robinjoe

I got a correction from the dealer. It was the wheel with the tire that went flat that needs to be replaced. That makes more sense.

One option is to replace the really bad wheel ($750), and just repair the other one (bend it back to shape). The damage is on the inside (not visible unless you crawl under the car).

Does anyone have experience with repairing wheels?
Is it recommended?

I'd like to put that extra money into a good set of 4 tires instead of the current plan to replace 2 tires.

Thanks,
Joe
Happened to me last year on my old 2001 PT. I had my "baby" sleigh hammer in the trunk, and banged one of the rims back. Never gave be trouble again. The other one actually "ripped". I got a replacement on ebay for $80 shipped! Check around. A junkyard I know will get them and sell them for $120 for the painted, don't know about the chromed ones.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 11 Feb 2005, 10:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Don't buy a stock wheel from the dealer at his price. I got a 17" chrome GT wheel a few months ago to replace an unrepairable one, NEW for $250 through a wheel repair vendor. You can get them cheaper yet on eBay or from sellers on the various forums.
Old 11 Feb 2005, 11:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's 4 17" chrome wheels off a new convertible with tires for $400!

http://www.ptforums.com/zerothread?id=2888

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 12 Feb 2005, 02:14 am
Cool Cruiser

I'd feel safer buying from him if he had a good E-Bay feedback, or even if he was a regular forum member. But that's his first post, and who knows where he's comming from.

Maybe if he was local, but I don't want to take that risk. It's awfully tempting though.

Joe

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Here's 4 17" chrome wheels off a new convertible with tires for $400!

http://www.ptforums.com/zerothread?id=2888