Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help on tire placement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2005, 05:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Help on tire placement

I know, I know on the bottom of the car!

I have an '04 GT with 205 X 50 X 17" tires on stock GT rims and 12,000 Mi.
I swivered to avoid a pothole but caught the reght rear and within a mile it was flat. I put on the doughnut and went to a Goodyear store. No road hazard warranty! Estimate was $225. Went to local DC and got same thing. I figured I didn't want to shell out the money just yet for four new upgraded tires so I found another GY for $200 and had it installed on the RR.
I asked if it wouldn't ge better for a new tire to go on the front where it would wear faster. He said no that it could cause it to shimmy. OK it's on the RR.
THE QUESTION IS Would it be better on the front? If the car is one wheel drive, which front is the drive wheel? I think it's the right one; I mean I could get this new tire down to match the other three in no time!!!

Could I get some informed opinions on where to put the new one?

Thanks,

John [?]
Old 15 Mar 2005, 06:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Personally, with only 12K, the other tires shouldn't be too bad, so like you said, I'd stick it on the drive wheel. Which one it is [:I] probably the drivers side.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 10:20 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

In an extreme case having the new tire on the front may cause a slight pull. That's the only problem I can see with having the new one on the front.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 10:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Most of the weight and braking, and all of the power and steering are done by the fronts. That said, the most common flat is the right rear. Ask anyone who's worked a tire store for a while. Seems there is more stuff on the side of the road (right) and that it gets 'spit' up and then run over by the rear. I'd put it on the rear. Keep the matched set in front (even if it's not that much) and as you've felt, a rear flat is scary! For an explaination of the "one wheel drive", try http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 16 Mar 2005, 04:01 am
Young Cruiser

HI JPMS GT

if the installer said it cause a shimmy? may be the rim is bent?

BUD
Old 16 Mar 2005, 08:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like installer was just lazy. Why would it cause a shimmy?
I had 2 destroyed tires - both potholes, both right front, one bad enough to crack the rim!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Mar 2005, 05:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

You may be right Don. I've put a few miles on it (RR) and it seems OK. I think I'll shift it to the RF and see how it goes. Mike-in-Orange and some of the California Speedway guys say they burn rubber with one front wheel (no LSD)so maybe I can wear this one down to match the others! [8)]
Old 17 Mar 2005, 07:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JPMS GT

You may be right Don. I've put a few miles on it (RR) and it seems OK. I think I'll shift it to the RF and see how it goes. Mike-in-Orange and some of the California Speedway guys say they burn rubber with one front wheel (no LSD)so maybe I can wear this one down to match the others! [8)]
Yep, that right front seems to go away in a hurry if you like to stand on it.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.