PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Harder bumps after changing from 205/50 to 225/45?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2005, 01:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Harder bumps after changing from 205/50 to 225/45?

I've been thinking of changing rims/tires to 18"x8" or just tires to 225/45s. I was talking with someone who replaced the stock 205/50s with 225/45s on the stock 17" rims. He said you feel all bumps harder and is thinking about going back to 205/50s or 215/50s. Anybody else feel this way? If they did this is the traction/feel on cornering better?
Old 26 Mar 2005, 03:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I went to 40 series tires and though the ride is a tad rougher over bumps I wouldn't trade the great handling for big porker tires. I'm sold on low profile tires. [8)]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 26 Mar 2005, 03:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

I whent to 235/40/18 and wouldn't change back for the nothing. The ride is a little harsher but I got used to it very fast. Also the look is so much better without the big gap in the wheel wells. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 06:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

The cool thing is, you can "build" them how you like them. I like my tires and wheels to be cushy and quiet on the road but take off like a raped ape in a straight line when I want. Others want to cut a corner like the they're on rails and others want to stuff in as big a wheel as posible for extra bling.

I'm very picky and I'm still searching for my perfect wheel and tire. I like the look of my stock Turbo wheels for now but they are too narrow and will someday be changed. An Ol' School, Hot Rod look is what I'm going for so most of the newer style wheels that have a high tech, edgy look, won't work for me.

This is one of those things that are not "one size fits all". The more you study up on it and the more you try different set ups, the more you will understand the trade offs and know what fits you best.

Old 26 Mar 2005, 10:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Jeff-
The fellow is right -
The lower the aspect ratio - the number after the slash - the less rubber between the rim and the road, so less ability to absorb shocks - you get better handling because the tire is wider, but you also run the risk of losing a rim in a pothole.[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Apr 2005, 11:15 am
Cool Cruiser

QSD,

Your reply on the aspect ratio is both right and wrong.

Let me explain: If you are comparing the same treadwidth to different aspect ratios, i.e.: 205/50 to 205/40, then yes, you are correct about less sidewall rubber between the rim and the road. However, if you were comparing 205/50 to a 235/45, then the 235/45 tire actually has MORE sidewall rubber between the rim and the road.

Scott

Old 03 Apr 2005, 12:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ElectricBlueGT

QSD,

Your reply on the aspect ratio is both right and wrong.

Let me explain: If you are comparing the same treadwidth to different aspect ratios, i.e.: 205/50 to 205/40, then yes, you are correct about less sidewall rubber between the rim and the road. However, if you were comparing 205/50 to a 235/45, then the 235/45 tire actually has MORE sidewall rubber between the rim and the road.

Scott
I was assuming people would want to keep overall diameter the same and no screw up speedometer - following the "plus 1" rules - first # goes up, second # goes down.
And if you go to larger rims, you will be guaranteed to have less rubber - it keeps me from 17" rims.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 05:41 am
Senior Cruiser

After a lot of soul searching I am going to buy my new tires at Costco and get Bridgestone Turanza LS-V in size 225/50 for $167 per tire minus the mail in rebate of $25 per tire. I like Costco over Tire Rack cause they sell the tires complete with road hazard guarantee, free rotations, balanced, rubber stems, and mounting. They also use nitrogen which is nice. I have to go with the larger width to get the load rating on this tire as I do not want to loose any GVWR. I talked to the technical people at Tire Rack and was assured this size tire would fit on my 6" 17" rims. The revolutions per mile will go from 833 to 807! The larger sized tire also adds about 4 lbs per tire.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 10:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Steel, it sounds like you did a thorough study on your tire upgrade. Thanks for posting your thoughts and results, like the rotations per mile and weight. This is a good example of many of the variables each person should consider when choosing tires. It does go beyond the gov’t ratings for temp, tread wear and season ratings.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper