Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wheel and tire info and pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2005, 02:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Wheel and tire info and pics

Hello everyone. I am on here quite a bit, but don't post very often. Anyway, I bought my Cruiser in July and it was already modded pretty heavily. What I am concerned with are the rims and tires. This is my first experience with low profile tires and I am kind of stuck in the middle of liking them and hating them. I like the look, but I am not enjoying the hassle. I will explain. First, I have 235/40 ZR18 91W Nitto tires on 18" Lexani wheels. I do not know the width of the rim. I have had 2 blowouts with these tires already. Given, they were used and I do not know the mileage that was on them. I didn't realize they were around $170.00 per tire. I have replaced the front 2, but they constantly lose air pressure. I have had them checked and nothing is wrong, so they tell me. Within a week they lose 10-15 lbs of air. I was told that running low pro tires with low air really tears up and weakens the sidewall which seems obvious. I am just tired of having to pay extreme attention to the air in my tires, like daily. Does anyone else experience anything like this. I am contemplating going to a smaller rim and a larger tire to remedy this. Any and all input is welcome. Thanks guys, and hope for lots of input.

P.S.
1.) What size rim comes stock on the cruiser?
2.) Can you also post pics and specs of what you are running?

Thanks again.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 02:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This is me by the way, I guess I lost my signature and pic with my new computer. Thanks.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 04:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Welcome aboard Opie,
Base Pt comes with 195/65r 15"s then go to 205/55 R 16". After that I don't know.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 07:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade

About the tire pressure thing, your tires shouldnt lose air that fast, no matter how low pro they are. You may have some kind of hole or leak in the tire, and i would replace them with pirellis, michelins, or falkens.
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)
Old 10 Apr 2005, 07:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

You may also want to talk to someone at a good tire shop and ask about the best size tire and the best tire for those wheels.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 10:34 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm running 215/35-19's and I did have one go flat due to my error. but if you are constantly losing air pressure you may want to have the wheel inspected. If you bought them used they may have a crack in the wheel itself causing the lose of air pressure? I had the same problem about 3 years ago with my other car running low profile tires after a flat, came to find a stress crack which was causing me to lose pressure.. Your local wheel /tire shop should be able to run a test for you. As for tires I've had Toyos, Nitto, Yokohamas, and Falkens. Nitto's gave the best performance for the $.
Kevin
Old 11 Apr 2005, 11:48 am
Cool Cruiser

I have to agree with Kevin about Nitto's. I am running a 235/40/18 inch setup and have had no problems. It sounds like you might have a crack in your rims. Have a rim shop check it out. When you had the blow out, that could have very easily caused a rim/or all of them to crack. If you have a crack in the rim, you could be loosing air very rapidly, like you are suggesting. Just a thought...it happended to me before.
BigPhil

Old 12 Apr 2005, 01:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

The high-tech (?) way to check is to remove the wheel and tire, and submerge it in water. Check the valve stem, wheel, bead and tire. My wheels are 18X7.5, +45 offset. Tires are 225/40R18. It would look better dropped, but my route is smooth roads with dips and driveways, so I choose not to decrease clearance. Each person's road conditions determine what can be run.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 12 Apr 2005, 07:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking ride you got there!

GT's come with 17" stock wheels & the stock Goodyears are not much cheaper
Old 15 Apr 2005, 06:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Supercharged

18" Anelle Speedters
235/40 Falkens

[IMG][/IMG] 01 PT
Pimpin it out for mom