Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bigger wheel radius

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2005, 02:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Bigger wheel radius

I remember hearing that for those who want to put on taller tires and adjust the speedometer to show accurate speed there was some device to help do that. Can anyone remember what that was? I'd like to try to add bigger wheels, but I'm leery of the rough ride I'll get with the thinner sidewall tires. Thanks in advance for your responses.

[8)] Cruise on!
Old 21 Apr 2005, 08:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't know of any device, but I know you can get your speedometer re-calibrated, but I'm not familiar with getting that done.[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Apr 2005, 11:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

not sure about the rear but you may have a clearance issue up front with the lower spring perch on the struts.
speedometer calibration would need to be done with the DRBIII scanner and im not sure if there are any other selections than stock variations.

with keeping the stock radius, i feel that a 17" is the best compromise between comfort/performance/looks 225/45/17
Old 21 Apr 2005, 01:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

I understand, Rallyd. I know the GT has 17's but they also beefed up the suspension somewhat. If I put on 17's on my NA PT, how much would the ride suffer? How significant a change is it from 16's to 17's? I also wanted to put raised white letter tires on, but I doubt I can do that with 17" wheels. Tough choice, cool wheels or cool tires? [:I]

[8)]
Old 21 Apr 2005, 10:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

its not that bad. my girlfriend is very particular with her 05 jetta. I had my winter wheels which are actually stock VW GTI wheels (17") and couldn't resist putting them on to replace her stock 15" alloys. so i stole her car from her job, gave it a full detail and put the wheels on. Well apparently she checks on her car often and thought that is was actually stolen and totally freaked [B)]oops. luckily she saw my pt and realized what was up. funny thing is that leaving work she was on the phone while walking to her car and didnt even notice the wheels (she's blonde btw) until she got home. ok so maybe not the best example but a funny story nonetheless.
Personal experience: I would have to say that to experience what the ride would be like with 17" wheels, inflate your 16" to 40-42psi and go for a drive. Jump up to 18" and you'll really feel the cracks in the road plus you'll lose some economy and have less rubber to protect the rim from damage.