Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Wheels, Tires, Suspension

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
tire change

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 May 2005, 12:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default tire change

i have 17" tires on my 04 gt turbo that look to me to be the low profile 205/50r17 eagle rs by goodyear. my question is can a 15" tire/wheel combination be put on the car with the same overall diamete as these ? i don't care for the low profile tire and i believe the ride will improve alot with a larger profile tire/wheel combination. if anyone has changed out and went to a different setup let me know thanks.
Old 30 May 2005, 04:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

The factory tires are not low profile. I have Toyo Proxes 4 40's. Now those are low profile tires. A lot of the ride has to do with the crappy Goodyear tires. You'd have to have a huge sidewall on 15" tires to make your speedo/odometer work properly. [:I]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 30 May 2005, 12:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Bob,
You can get a 15" wheel and tire combo that will match the diameter of the wheels and tires you have now, the only issue is the brake calipers on the GT/turbo is larger and a 15" wheel will not fit, at least an OEM wheel.
Del Val PT Cruisers
Old 30 May 2005, 05:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks the tire are low profile fyi. with only 2" from the road to the rims i will fit it into a low profile tire. thanks for the info on the 15" tires maybe someone has found a combo that works. i know about the speedo and if i find the correct combo then i will address the speedo. i have used tires with this amount of tire to road clearence and after i changed to a larger tire to road profile the ride improved 1000% . the tires do absorb huge amounts of road shock.
Old 31 May 2005, 10:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The base PT comes with 15" rims, so there is a combo with tire that works without hosing speedometer. The rub (pun intended) is clearing the GT brake calipers.
Not only ride, but I cracked a rim in a pothole with the stock 16" rims/tires w/my '02 - 17" makes that even more likely - one of the main reasons I didn't want a GT - only comes w/17" rims.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles