PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wax removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2012, 01:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT
Default Wax removal

Quick couple questions I started to post under a sticky but changed my mind: I use (usually) Maguireís Gold Carnauba wax. I donít like itís duration on the car, but it looks beautiful on black after a big cleaning, polishing and glazing. With the warmer weather, the wax thins a lot, and goes on looking more like a fluid rather than a wax, I assume thatís fine. Does it need to be applied heavily, or just enough to cover the paint? Iím finishing waxing the whole car right now, and plan to go over it with a light weight Wal-Mart buffer just to make sure I have all the last bits of paint off. Should I put something on the micro fiber pad, or just make sure the pad and the finish are clean? And lastly, in the past, Iíve used cotton swabs and an orange stick for cleaning the little bits of wax out of the crack and crevices and things like the emblems. Is there a better way or item for that? Some places I can get with a cloth and my fingernails (in the cloth) but some places are downright tight.
Old 08 Jun 2012, 01:36 pm
Banned

Default Re: Wax removal

I hand polish mine once a year, but I use meguiars quik detailer like every other day, and a carnuba based spray wax every week or so.

I would never think of putting a paste or spread in the emblems.

I use my spray on wax for that, no residue.

Maybe I am just lazy but the results speak for themselves I guess
Old 11 Jun 2012, 03:03 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Wax removal

Hey their Guys,

Okay, as far as duration expectancy, most waxes usually have a life expectancy of between 30 - 60 days before the protective qualities are pretty much depleted and needing another application. You can get more time out of the protection by applying a good paint sealant in paste form followed by a good coat of Carnuba but in all reality your looking at extending the life expectancy of the UV Protection to maybe 3-4 months maximum realistically.

You do always want to apply thin coats instead of heavy coats, and allow the wax to thoroughly dry for a good 5 minutes before wiping off the excess residue. If the wax sets up too hard and is difficult to remove the residue you can use a 50/50 mix of Isobutyle (rubbing alcohol) and distilled water in a 32 ounce spray bottle to soften up the dried wax enough to wipe it down easier.

As far as removing the wax, I usually do the opposite by way of applying wax by machine and the wiping down with a good microfiber rag folded into four and keep flipping once I build up too much residue on one side of the rag. If you are using an orbital with a microfiber bonnet you can either use a good quick detailer, or once again make your own 50/50 mix of Isobutyle and distilled water and finely mist the bonnet also known in Detailing as priming the pad which is also used when using either a DA or Rotary Buffer as well as it reduces the friction and helps lubricate the pad better.

As far as getting wax out of tight cracks and crevices, still the best tools I use every day are toothpicks, q-tips, and paint brushes.

That's my take anywayz.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 11 Jun 2012, 09:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

Thanks CM, that's what I was looking for. Hadn't heard of priming the pad, but it made sense to do so in some fashion. On the toothpicks and q-tips, I don't do a huge detail often, but i wondered if the cotton or wood had any signifigant chance of tearing up the paint.

Helps tons!
Old 12 Jun 2012, 09:54 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Wax removal

Hey their Creepy,

Shouldn't have any issues with either the toothpicks or q-tips. If in any doubt just go easy and careful and you should be fine. I use them all the time on all my high end stuff and have never had an issue as of yet.

One thing you can do is get a plastic cup and soak one end of the q-tips in a solution of mostly quick detailer mixed with a couple drops of car wash soap. The quick detailer will make quick work of the wax residue while the soap will add lubrication to help further prevent and micro scratching.

Another tool you can make is getting a couple cheap paint stir sticks and wrap them in cheese cloth. Works well in corners and crevices where your fingers can't reach.

Anywayz, hope that helps ya a bit. And now off to work. Slammed this week prepping a 67 Couger, 32 Ford Roadster, Falcon Wagon, and more for the big LA Roadster Show in Pomona this weekend. Its a GoodGuys event and the largest show in LA where we will also be on hand wiping down cars all weekend. Fun stuff.

So, off to the grind. Any questions, you know I will try to answer whatever you got anytime.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 13 Jun 2012, 04:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Pipeous

I use horse hair brushes for cleaning out the cracks and such... old school still works good
The Mean Tangerine: Pteazer Smoothie front fascia, Roadster grill, and Retro real roll pan, dual exhaust, 17" Momo wheels, Eibach lowering kit, 2005 intake, bov, 5 speed manual tranny, painted door pillars, altezza tail lights, hurst short shift kit, hard pipes, halo fog lights and stage 1 computer and injectors