PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > The Detail Shop

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Would this welder work on repairs on the body and frame work on pt cruiser?

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Mar 2015, 11:40 am
Regular Cruiser

Smile Would this welder work on repairs on the body and frame work on pt cruiser?

I hope I'm posting in the right section but I'm wondering if this welder I found on Amazon could work for body work and frame repairs on the pt cruiser or any other car to? Could someone give me suggestions on this welder or post one that you recommend hopefully at a fair price some where's. Thanks guys.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003FG...mEL&ref=plSrch
Old 22 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Would this welder work on repairs on the body and frame work on pt cruiser?

It says:
"max metal thickness: 18 gauge / 3/16-Inch"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Mar 2015, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Would this welder work on repairs on the body and frame work on pt cruiser?

Specifications: thermal overload protection amps: 80 (max 125), duty cycle 20-percent at80 amps, wire size: .030 - .035,

Nothing I would want to do any real work on a vehicle body with.

These are great for quick fixes that do not require but a minute or so of welding.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Mar 2015, 12:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

you might check out the ones on eastwood. they start pretty cheap and i've never heard anybody complain about one.
Eastwood -MIG Welder | MIG Welders | MIG Welding Cart | MIG Welding Machine & Accessories

you really would be better off getting one that uses gas instead of flux. you'll have less spatter and no slag to deal with. cleaning off the slag is a pain in the rear and it gets old very quickly.

left is mig with gas, right is mig with flux:

you can weld with that but there is no temp adjustment and only lets you adjust the wire speed. so if it's designed to weld up to 3/16" thick, you may find yourself burning holes on the thin metal of the car. if you're hell-bent on using that particular welder, you can prevent the holes by clamping a brass plate on the back of the thin steel while you weld. it will help with the burn through and won't stick to what you're welding.

you's be lightyears ahead at least upgrading to a welder like this: MIG Welder | MIG Welders | MIG Welding
it has 2 dials so you can control the temperature and wire speed, and will weld up to 1/4". additionally, the one i posted will let you use gas or flux, so if you get sick of cleaning off the dirty welds shown on the right, you can hook a tank up and make clean welds like you see on the left. cleaning welds sucks. you get pinholes in the welds and you end up poking at them with dental picks so you can weld over the pinhole again. if you didnt get it clean enough, you'll be going over it a third time. i can't stress enough how annoying it is. it's a huge time waster.

on the other hand, my friend tom has a flux core welder (but with 2 dials) and seems to do OK with it. he made this forge using flux core. the welds are not pretty, but it got the job done. he's been welding with it for years and even with all the practice he's had, i wouldn't want welds like that on my car.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (26.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 460683_10151464690407677_2142501679_o.jpg (82.2 KB, 50 views)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 22 Mar 2015, 01:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

also just an FYI that welder you posted is also $184 from home depot. the amazon "SAVE $150" thing is BS

Last edited by rob342; 22 Mar 2015 at 01:20 pm.
Old 22 Mar 2015, 03:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey rob I could have used the brass trick when I was doing some welding some time back. Your a man of many talents.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Mar 2015, 04:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Hey rob I could have used the brass trick when I was doing some welding some time back. Your a man of many talents.
Thats how i felt.

a retired welding teacher/welder fixer guy told me about that when i was telling him about all the holes i burned through my car
Old 22 Mar 2015, 05:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
Thats how i felt.

a retired welding teacher/welder fixer guy told me about that when i was telling him about all the holes i burned through my car
Been there done that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Mar 2015, 06:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
also just an FYI that welder you posted is also $184 from home depot. the amazon "SAVE $150" thing is BS
I did not know that Home Depot sold that one for the same price I will have to keep a closer eye from now on when I'm researching that stuff. Thanks for the heads up and thanks again for all of your information and I will be searching that site you gave me and find a better one that offers more I'll just have to save more money before I can get one but that's fine I don't need one right away I was just getting information together for when I start looking more closer into it for which one I wanted. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 22 Mar 2015, 06:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

One more question that's been bothering me and I wanted to ask someone that's been welding allot before, Can welding cause eye damage with the more welding you do and even if you're wearing the welding shield every time you weld?? Just curious to know I've been wanting to ask someone that.