Multi-Step Paint Correction

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By soonercruiser
  • 1 Post By soonercruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2021, 06:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Multi-Step Paint Correction

If your paint is looking a little sad, and you don't have many deep scratches, multi-step Paint Correction is the way to go.

My new to me vert, looks awesome from a distance in this photo. But, there was plenty of oxidation, fog and moderately severe scratches.

I had at least 4 or 5 places that I thought that I would have to sand and blend in spray paint, especially at the corners of the front bumper.
I looked around locally, and most of the reputable places wanted near $1,000 for paint correction.
Turns out when I posted on the MOPAR Club Facebook page, our Club VP's son-in-law does it, and at a car club discount.
Did it in one day, and charged me $400! (I tipped him) WOW! WAS THAT WORTH IT!
(Merry Christmas to myself!)

He got rid of 90% of what I thought I would have to repair myself. All the scratches and swirls.
Musta been a woman driver life my wife, who lets bird crap sit on her paint for week......on my rear bumper.
But, I planned on doing a custom step pad there anyway.

Only real flaw in the paint remaining is some lost clearcoat on the right rear fender, above the wheel.

Otherwise, this photo of the rear hatch, which had scratches and bad swirls, is indicative of how good the paint looks now.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 27 Dec 2021, 01:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Multi-Step Paint Correction

Looks great! Can't wait to see what you do with it; although it looks pretty cool as is. enjoy!
Old 28 Dec 2021, 10:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Multi-Step Paint Correction

I thought that I might need to have a step pad on the rear bumper, or one of my custom spray bed liner mods.

But, yesterday, with a 3M pad and gasoline, I managed to remove almost all the bird poop acid marks off of the top of the rea bumper.
So 2 light coats of the body color, an 2-3 coats of clear, it's as good as new. Rubbed out and polished today.
So, I won't be doing the step pad any time soon.

**Also wet sanded, and blended-in the area on the right rear fender where the clear coat was peeling.
After doing that and wet sanding thru the base color, I am convinced that it was in a minor fender bender, and the body shop did a cheap, shitty job of painting at that time. As, it's not happening anywhere else on the car.
Will post pictures.
PGBCruiser likes this.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!