Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Exterior & Interior Styling

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
compression fittings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2003, 01:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Default compression fittings

how the hell does a brass compression fitting hook up to a 1/8" nylon hose from my boost guage?

I cant figure this out, should i try to fit the hose into the small ball inside the fitting? it doesn't fit.
Old 02 Oct 2003, 08:35 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Here is a picture of the fitting that goes into the oil passage. The nylon tube goes through the compression nut, then the ferrule slides over the tube, then the nylon tube with the ferrule goes into the fitting and the nut then goes onto the fitting and gets tightened. This crushes the ferrule into the fitting and seals the connection. I do not have a pic of an un made up fitting. Sorry. (the compression fitting is on the line with the red silicone tube jacketing the oil line)
Old 02 Oct 2003, 08:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Punch,

Does the nut for the brass fitting have an integral ferrule or is it seperate? A ferrule looks like a tapered insert, semi-conical in shape. Some Swagelok fittings have an integral ferrule built into the nut.

Anyway, you place the nut and ferrule (tapered end toward the end of the hose or line) over the end of the hose or line [The ferrule is between the nut and the fitting you desire to connect]. Push the hose or line to the item you wish to connect until no more play is felt. While holding the line in place, tighten the nut. The ferrule is the most important part to the connection. Without it, it will leak pretty badly.

I *HOPE* this answers your question.

Scott
Old 02 Oct 2003, 12:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

thanks guys, there is no way my 1/8' hose will fit into this ferrul, maybe once their used their no good again, i will go shopping today for a new peice.

punch
Old 02 Oct 2003, 12:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Punch, I did not realize that the ferrule that you were using had been used. The ferrule can only be used once because it is crushed into the fitting and clamps around the tubilng, You can purchase the ferrules separately at most auto parts store. That is the only part of the fitting that cannot be reused. Sorry that I did not pick up on that before.
Old 06 Nov 2003, 03:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Guys,
I put my dual guage pod in over the weekend and it looks great, boost on top and oil pressure on bottom. I plumbed in the boost with no problem, I used a 3-way 3/8" brass barbed fitting and cut off the center one, then drilled and tapped it for 1/8'NPT. Here is the problem...I can see the plugs on the side of the head to remove for the oil guage fittings - what size is that plug? It is smaller than 1/4", I modified an old socket adapter with no luck. What have you used to remove yours?
Old 06 Nov 2003, 10:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I took a grinder to a 1/4' short extention and ground it down till it fit. Tapped it into the plug and removed it with a 1/4" ratchet. There is probably a tool for this, but I couldn't find one so I made one. I think that I still have it around here somewhere. If you have no luck removing it let me know & I'll send you the modified extention to use (after I find it)........
Old 07 Nov 2003, 10:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

I did that a few days ago by measuring the square with a set of calipers and grinding one down to match, I must have went a little loose because it started to round off so I stopped. This time I think I will grind it down to more of an interfearance fit and tap it into the hole and go from there...it only has to come out once...Then again, if that does not work I can always drill and easy out..cringe..
Old 10 Nov 2003, 02:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All,
I made a better fitting tool this weekend and it worked out great. I can see why mother mopar dill not want to put a guage on the dash. Oil pressure is great (70psi) when the motor is cold. But after it warms up then the pressure will fluctuate(sp)between 20-50 depending on engine speed. I am running Mobil 1, but that should not make that much difference. Have you seen the same results with oil pressure?
Old 10 Nov 2003, 02:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

That is the same thing that I see as well. When its colder the pressure @ cold startup can go as high as 80lbs. Always settles down after warmup.......