Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hatch latch malfunction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2005, 02:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Hatch latch malfunction

I talked my mother into getting a Cruiser and she loved it until her hatch started giving her problems. It's been extremely frustrating for her.

It will close, but the interior lights wont go out and the hatch open light stays lit. It just doesn't latch fully. She has the new style hatch closure with a solenoid rather than a mechanical handle.

They are totally replacing the latch under warrantee when the parts come in. Has anyone experienced the same thing? I was just curious to see if this has been a common problem.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 02:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have found that the hatch requires a good slam to get the light to go out - both my '02 and '05 behave the same way. If I just shut it, more often than not the light will stay on.[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Aug 2005, 02:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yeah mine is the same way. Aparently this is much worse. The mechanic at the dealer was able to recreate the problem, or they wouldn't be repairing it. No matter how hard you slam it the light doesn't go out.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 02:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

No problems here. Not nessessarly a slam but a good shut is required. You have to remember, you need alot of pressure to overcome those shocks that hold it up. That hatch isnt light by anymeans. I have a hard time myself, because it's really hard for me to lift my arms over shouldr height, especially with any weight on them. So it is rather difficult soemtimes.

Why ar ethey replacing it? Why just not adjust the striker?
Old 29 Aug 2005, 08:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not sure that there is an adjustment. By replacing it, it should be fixed, if not, it has to go back.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 10:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've never seen a striker that wasnt adjustable. They have to be because they are all not cast the same. You need to have adjustment for the tolerances.

I'm not taking about the lock on the hatch. I'm talking about the striker mounted to the body. It acts just like a door striker.
Loosen the bolts & you will see that it moves. It wont move much maybe .25"
Old 30 Aug 2005, 11:29 am
Cool Cruiser

They made a couple of attempts to adjust the striker, but it didn't solve anything. She actually took it to two different dealers to try that.
Old 15 May 2006, 09:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the same problem of the rear hatch light indicator staying on while I was driving. So I took it in and this is what they said "Found Body connected on left rear quarter pillar pin not making contact." Now it works.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 10:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Hatch latch malfunction

"03 4dr limited:
liftgate was open when wife tried to close, noticed handle was crooked and difficult to latch. At home, it could not be unlatched and opened either with key or fob. Dealer charged $89.95 to pull panel and report "removed liftgate trim panel. Disconnected linkages and opened liftgate. Outside handle appears to be bent. Customer declined replacing panel: ( estimate $519.83 )"
Does anyone have a liftgate handle for sale?
Ed - FortMill, SC
Old 25 Mar 2011, 11:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Hatch latch malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenesmith View Post
"03 4dr limited:
liftgate was open when wife tried to close, noticed handle was crooked and difficult to latch. At home, it could not be unlatched and opened either with key or fob. Dealer charged $89.95 to pull panel and report "removed liftgate trim panel. Disconnected linkages and opened liftgate. Outside handle appears to be bent. Customer declined replacing panel: ( estimate $519.83 )"
Does anyone have a liftgate handle for sale?
Ed - FortMill, SC
Ed.essayons@gmail.com