PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front end "wobble"

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Oct 2002, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Front end "wobble"

I just bought a new 2003 limited. After I drove it for a while I noticed a "wobble" in the front end when I accelerate turning right or left. Sometimes I feel it just taking off going forward. The dealer is telling me that "they all do that". Has anyone experienced this problem?

Old 18 Oct 2002, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry underhr, I have a 2001 limited and haven't felt any wobbles.

Old 21 Oct 2002, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My '01s do not have this problem. Does it appear to be "torque-steer"? That is, when you push on the accelerator, it pulls the steering wheel to one side or straighten it out from turning? If it is a true "wobble", take it back, or find a good auto alignment/suspension shop in your area with a good reputation.

Old 21 Oct 2002, 11:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Seems like several people had this problem including me with 2001's. It is or was the tires with bad belts. High pressure, 35-38, will help. I would have hoped that Chrysler would have corrected the problem by now! Badger your dealer and they might do something.

Old 24 Oct 2002, 09:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We have a similiar problem with our late model 2002 LE 5 speed. Checked all the basic stuff front-end alignment, balance, air pressure etc.Everything nominal. No luck with the dealer they say no problem and won't do anything to help. Problem is only at low speed and goes away at street legal speeds and above. Smooth as silk on up to 100 mph plus. A little higher air pressure does help some. I have read the stock goodyears that come on the car are prone to this. We can't afford to change tires so I guess we will live with this until the tires wear out. Other than that the car is great and fun to drive.
I would like to know if you find a way to resolve this.

Old 25 Oct 2002, 01:16 am
Senior Cruiser

My 03 turbo is silky smooth at all speeds up to 70 mph so far. No torque steer with up to 3/4 throttle. I think they have fixed the problem on my car!!

Old 25 Oct 2002, 01:35 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If you think tires are the problem try rotating them front to rear and see if this helps. It may just be one or two "bad" tires. SteelblueGT has larger rims and different tires. Good luck

Old 01 Nov 2002, 09:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well folks I too have had this wobble problem. I have 16" smoothie rims and wide whitewalls (dayton tires)on a 2002 ltd (9000 miles). I recently read some string on the PTCC or PTE web site saying that it could be a mis casting or bad casting of the front axel. Does anyone know could this be the problem off all these wobble problems? So far I have had my wheels balanced and the front end aligned 3 times so far. Just had a rotation done as too.

As well I had those star washers removed that were on the rotors. Well the problem actually went away for about 3 days...completely!! Now it is back but not at the magnatude it was before I had them removed.Much more of a smoother ride but the wobble comes back every now and then. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Judging from how many people have read this topic alot of PT owners seem to be having the same problems with factory or aftermarket products. I want to take the car to the dealership but I am afraid of getting a run around routine there especially since these are aftermarket wheels. Help ...Help!

Old 28 Dec 2002, 11:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2002 Limited Edition Cruiser. It has 16,500 miles on it. Has had a wobble problem and drifts to the right since day one. Mostly at low speeds, 35 to 40 MPH. High speeds OK. Handles like a dream on winding roads. Numerous checks at Dodge dealer...needs alignment, low tire pressure, blah, blah, blah. Very frustrating.
Any help out there? Going back to Dodge dealer next week for another round of "discussions".

Old 29 Dec 2002, 08:19 am
Cool Cruiser

I also have a 2003 Limited (just coming up on 3000 miles) and have had no such problem, so they don't "all do that". Try a different dealer's service dept. and if they can't (or won't) help either, get in touch with Chrysler and RAISE HELL (the squeaky wheel gets the grease). Please let us all know how you make out.

Enjoy Life...This is Not a Dress Rehearsal
Closed Thread