PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tire shimmy solved!!!!!!!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Oct 2002, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tire shimmy solved!!!!!!!

This message is to all that have PT's with wide white wall tires from diamond back classics and also have the chrome smoothie rims. I own a 2002 ltd ed. This message is in reference to the front end wheel shimmy at various speeds with the prior products listed. This shimmy can be remidied by the removal of of the star washers that should have been removed on the assembly line on the 5 pattern bolt lugs that hold on the tires.

I was told of this remedy months ago but dealers and tire centers kept telling me it is an alignment problem,balancing or just a bad front end design. The real problem are those stupid washers. I know why they go on there but they should have been removed by Chrysler. Anyway just take off your tires and pull off these washers off all four rotors. That shimmy will go away. Just had a rotation done had the tire center pull the washers off and drove it at all speeds and had no more shimmy and a smoother ride!!!! Just thought I would pass the word!

Old 25 Oct 2002, 02:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

I don't have smoothies but I did take the washers off and
It did not help. My guess is it depends on the wheels you are using. In my case it's those damm Goodyear tires. It is not a cure for everyone
Old 25 Oct 2002, 02:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

In case you want to read the back-and-forth on this subject, elsololobo02:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...p?TOPIC_ID=604

Old 26 Oct 2002, 12:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

A year ago when I purchased my new rims, ICW Racing, chrome spokes, I had the same problem with the spacers. Fortunatally it only took a short trip down the road, at about 40mph, before I noticed the shimmy and I was right back to the tire store. Those guys immediately figured out the problem, removed the spacers and I was on my way. Been happy ever since. I guess it's just another CFT (Chrysler Frustration Test)...ha-ha. Oh, by the way, I also replaced those stock Goodyear tires with something I like so much better.

Old 30 Oct 2002, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well guys and gals I don't know. I clicked the link in one of the replys to my topic and it seems eveyones is some kind of expert. These are the facts. I have a 2002 ltd. with a set of wide white wall tires(dayton tires) and all chrome smoothie rims. I took the car to Treadquarters,Sears and then to Chrysler. They all told me it was a balancing,alignment and or front end problem.

I had the wheels balanced and the front end aligned 3 times each! Still the problem remained. So the last tire center I took it to took off the star washers while I was getting my frist tire rotation.
No more shimmy! I have no idea why, as I am not an expert but the problem went away at all speeds,time of day,humidity and planetary axis shifts.I really don't know if this will fix all the aftermarket problems but it worked on my wheels and a friend of mine in our cruiser club with the same exact configuration. Hope it works on yours!

Old 03 Nov 2002, 02:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well folks....I stand corrected the problem came back but not as it was before I had the washers removed. Much more of a smoother ride but still there. Any one have any advice?? So far I have been told it is a balancing problem and or bad front axle.

Closed Thread