Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser went ablaze on Saturday..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2009, 12:21 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme
Default PT Cruiser went ablaze on Saturday..

As the topic states, my 2001 PT Cruiser caught on fire on Saturday night right before the Detroit Redwing Hockey game that I was attending. I am going to give the mileage of the service repair along w/ the price and just let me know what you guys would do.
  • ~50,000miles Dealership in Walled Lake replaced Power Steering pump - $1004.00
  • ~90,000miles Dealership in Walled Lake notified of a steering issue, they fixed multiple other items that they said would fix the problem, but didn't - $750.00
  • ~90,000miles After the incident with the dealership (they didn't fix the problem after charging me $750) I took my vehicle to Belle Tire to get my Rack and Pinion fixed. - $864.00
  • ~100,000miles After taking a drive to a friends house, I lost all my power steering fluid in his driveway making my car ineligible to drive back home. Car is towed to Belle Tire in Howell for repairs. - $Free
  • ~100,000miles Car is out of service for 3 days. Belle Tire notifies me on the 4th day that my car would be free of charge because the problem came from the Rack and Pinion they put in. - $Free
  • ~104,780miles Driving to the Detroit Redwings game on Saturday night (3/7) my car looses power steering. I park my car, notice that my car is smoking pretty badly and a girl that parked next to me said that my car was on fire. Sure enough my car was on fire. Car stayed ablaze for ~7-10mins and the firefighters put out the fire.

$2,618 just on problems with the power steering....Wow. Not including my loss wages for not having a car to get to work.

My car is totaled. At least I seem to think so. I will provide pics in a later post. Anyways I know that the 2001 PT Cruisers have a Power Steering recall that states that a "Power Steering fluid leakage in the presence of an ignition source can result in an underhood fire." When The dealership first had my car in and replaced the power steering pump, don't you think that they should have fixed the recall along with the repairs?

I have had problems with my power steering since ~50k miles. Now my car is totally burnt up, I need some answers and willing to take this to the next level. If anyone out there could give me some advise, it would be much appreciated.

BTW - Sorry I've been absent for a few months...I got a new job that entitled me to not have a life. I miss all of you

Pictures of the accident.

^^You can't tell, but the windshield is cracked in varies locations because of the heat, I am assuming.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!

Last edited by ucantcme; 10 Mar 2009 at 12:25 am.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 12:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cathy06PT
Default Re: PT Cruiser went ablaze on Saturday..

Yeah more then likely your PT is totaled, theres no way about it seeing how badly its all messed up and melted. I hope you get a decent check for it and Im just glad your ok sweetie.

But seriously, I'd sue them in a heartbeat, it's so crazy how they are quick to charge and not fix a damn thing you actually need...below is all the recall information for a 2001 PT....

JUN 03, 2004 | Recall ID# 14476

Recall Reason STEERING:HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:HOSE, PIPING, AND CONNECTIONS
Recall Date JUN 03, 2004
Model Affected PT CRUISER
Potential Units Affected 438391

Recall Summary
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 2.4L NON-TURBOCHARGED ENGINES AND AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLES, THE POWER STEERING PRESSURE HOSE MAY CONTACT THE AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE DIFFERENTIAL COVER, POTENTIALLY DAMAGING THE HOSE.

Consequence
POWER STEERING FLUID LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE CAN RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND RELOCATE, OR REPLACE AS NECESSARY, THE POWER STEERING HOSE AND CONFIRM TORQUE OF THE HOSE FASTENER AT THE STEERING GEAR END. THE RECALL BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 20, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Notes
DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION D18

I hope that helps and as I said when we spoke earlier, make sure you have every Reciept and if your missing any you can go have them print them out ( Just dont mention you need them cause you plan on suing them, LOL it might make getting them more difficult ) and then go speak to a lawyer as soon as you can to see if you've got a really good case, which I am most positive you do.

Keep us all informed on how your doing and it's goo to see you back!
Old 10 Mar 2009, 12:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

Thanks a lot Cathy....Of course you'll know how everything goes.

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Old 10 Mar 2009, 12:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cathy06PT

Actually here's Other recalls incase you need them for anything, sorry this reply is LONG lol, Hope it helps........

------------------------------------------------------------------------
JUN 14, 2002 | Recall ID# 56148
Recall Reason SEATS:FRONT ASSEMBLY:RECLINER
Recall Date JUN 14, 2002
Potential Units Affected 77000

Recall Summary
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 225, "CHILD RESTRAINT ANCHORAGE SYSTEMS." THE RIGHT REAR "65%" SEAT CENTER LOWER ANCHOR WAS MANUFACTURED WITH A WIRE DIAMETER THAT IS GREATER THAN THE MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE DIMENSION AS SPECIFIED IN THE STANDARD.

Consequence
IF THE CONNECTOR FOR A LATCH-TYPE CHILD RESTRAINT IS NOT ATTACHED CORRECTLY TO THE ANCHORAGE POINTS, THE RESTRAINT WILL NOT PROPERLY PROTECT A CHILD IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE RIGHT REAR SEAT CENTER ANCHOR AND, IF NECESSARY, RESIZE THE ANCHOR TO MEET THE DIAMETER SPECIFIED WITHIN THE STANDARD. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN NOVEMBER 4, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Notes
DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION B21

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

APR 14, 2008 | Recall ID# 36368
Recall Reason SUSPENSION
Recall Date APR 14, 2008
Potential Units Affected 6903

Recall Summary
FEDERAL MOGUL IS RECALLING 6,903 AFTERMARKET BALL JOINT ASSEMBLIES SHIPPED BETWEEN NOVEMBER 9, 2007 AND MARCH 26, 2008, WHICH MAY HAVE BEEN PACKAGED WITH INCORRECT NUTS. THE PART NUMBERS PACKAGED WITH INCORRECT NUTS ARE: K7147, K7329, K8683, AND 104353. THESE PARTS WERE MADE FOR USE ON THE VARIOUS VEHICLES LISTED ABOVE.

Consequence
THE NUTS INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGING FOR THESE BALL JOINT ASSEMBLIES ARE MISSING THE INTENDED PREVAILING TORQUE (SELF-LOCKING) FEATURE. IF THE INCORRECT NUT WAS TO BECOME LOOSE, THE JOINING MEMBERS MAY LOOSEN LEADING TO A SEPARATION OF THE BALL JOINT. THIS MAY RESULT IN LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy
FEDERAL MOGUL WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE PARTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MAY 22, 2008. OWNERS CAN CONTACT FEDERAL MOGUL AT 877-489-6659.

Notes
FEDERAL-MOGUL CHASSIS PRODUCTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUG 08, 2002 | Recall ID# 26739
Recall Reason FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINEELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
Recall Date AUG 08, 2002
Potential Units Affected 97779

Recall Summary
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE FUEL SUPPLY LINE COULD CONTACT THE AIR-CONDITIONING TUBE SERVICE PORT. THIS CAN CAUSE CHAFING OF THE LINE RESULTING IN A FUEL LEAKAGE.

Consequence
FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FUEL LINE FOR ABRASION AND INSTALL A CLIP TO ENSURE ISOLATION. IN CASES WITH EVIDENCE OF FUEL LINE ABRASION, THE FUEL LINE WILL BE REPLACED. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN AUGUST 12, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Notes
DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION B16

------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUG 08, 2002 | Recall ID# 79
Recall Reason FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINEELIVERY
Recall Date AUG 08, 2002
Potential Units Affected 345436

Recall Summary
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE FUEL PUMP MODULE MOUNTING FLANGE COULD LEAK FUEL IF THE VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A ROLLOVER CRASH.

Consequence
FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A SECONDARY SEAL OVER THE FUEL PUMP MODULE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN AUGUST 12, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.

Notes
DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION B23

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There ya go!! :-)
Old 10 Mar 2009, 12:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks again, Cathy

My Baby:

Old 10 Mar 2009, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ron,

Sorry to see/hear about your fire. Cathy gave you some good advice. Yea, the dealership should have inspected and placed the power steering hoses correctly according to the recall to prevent what happened. To be on your side, was there anyone official that has inspected it to say that the hoses did, in fact, start the fire? I didn't read all of Cathy's recall list (lived threw most of them) but there was one for the fuel line in the engine compartment running too close to the air conditioning lines thereby causing the fuel line to rub and eventually rub all the way threw and also start a fire. The newer PT's actually have a bracket to hold the fuel line away from the air conditioning lines. The recall/fix was to put a tie-wrap around the fuel line and pull it away, at least that's what they did to mine.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 10:51 am
Senior Cruiser

I'll know for sure what happened to my cruiser when I get a call from my insurance company. They are investigating what caused the fire within the next couple of days.

My Baby:

Old 10 Mar 2009, 03:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry to hear about your PT, hope everything goes well for you. You may want to give your insurance c.. the info Cathy sent you as they may NOT know what to look for.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 10 Mar 2009, 05:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Sorry to hear about your PT, hope everything goes well for you. You may want to give your insurance c.. the info Cathy sent you as they may NOT know what to look for.
Thanks...They have a team investigating my car. I shall see what comes out of it, if they call me I will be sure to let them know about these recalls. If it was a power steering issue - I should be getting ~$1,000 back from Belle Tire.

My Baby:

Old 10 Mar 2009, 09:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Unhappy Re: PT Cruiser went ablaze on Saturday..

Wow!
Sorry guy!
(Silver lining, once all the dust and smoke have settled - an opportunity for a new Cruiser!)

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!