Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
EGR Valve replacement request, Detroit area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2009, 08:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default EGR Valve replacement request, Detroit area

I drive a 2002 PT Cruiser Touring edition, approximately 110,000 miles. The dealer told me that my EGR valve is not opening and closing properly and wants to charge over $100 for a new valve, plus 2 hours of labor to replace.

Is this a relatively easy part to find and install? If so, I'd be happy to pay someone on the forums to help with this job. I live in Wixom (near Novi), MI and would be happy to have someone come out to my house, or meet somewhere. Please let me know if you are interested. Thank you!

-Dave
Old 10 Mar 2009, 10:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: EGR Valve replacement request, Detroit area

Dave,

The price is right for the valve itself. Changing it isn't too bad but if you haven't worked on engines it's probably best to leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. Your mechanic wants 2 hours for labor and that seems like an hour too much but I don't know what the book calls for. Good luck finding someone close enough to do the job.

This is for a 2001, not sure if they changed it for your year. I know chrysler did change it but not exactly sure when.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 10:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

>_>

I live in Wixom as well. Just thought that was interesting. I had my PT for 4yrs. If you ever need any help or advise on it...Let me know!

Don't tell me you took your PT to Shuman.....

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Check me out on Car Domain!
Old 10 Mar 2009, 11:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, my car is @Shuman right now as they are replacing the solenoid pack (transmission) this afternoon. Ugh, Shuman. But hey, where else could I have taken it to for the job?

ucantcme: Do you have any experience/interest in assisting me with the EGR valve replacement?
Old 10 Mar 2009, 11:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ucantcme Send a message via MSN to ucantcme Send a message via Skype™ to ucantcme

I never had to replace it on my PT. I am sure it cannot be too hard, but I'd rather try it myself then to give your car to Shuman. They have done me over pretty bad the past couple of times I had my car with them. Charging me $800 was their favorite thing to do and I think I will have a lawsuit againest them in the next couple of weeks.

I would recommened Belle Tire for all of your needs for the PT. They have been very nice and have excellent service and are willing to work on prices with you.

How soon do you need this EGR replaced?

My Baby:
01' Taupe Limited PT Cruiser w/ rear spoiler, Drop in K&N Air Filter, Limo tint all around, blue neon interior, blue LED windshield nozzles,
In-dash CD/DVD/Radio made by Jensen, Vent Visors, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Grille inserts, Dual Catback Exhaust, Scan Gauge II,
back-up camera, and a system containing 2 Lanzar 15" subwoofers and an MA Audio 1800watt amplifier.

Old 10 Mar 2009, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the Belle Tire tip. Do you recommend the one on Grand River in Novi?

I'd like to get the EGR valve replaced sometime this week, as Shuman tells me that not getting it taken care of will result in lower gas mileage and could cause the car to stall. Let me know if you are comfortable with this type of job and willing to assist, and how much you would charge for your time. I'll contact you via PM here on the forums.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10 Mar 2009, 05:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Grand River and Novi Rd. is the one I travel to even though the one in Commerce is closer. The manager there is always giving me discounts - even on oil changes. A few bucks here and there really helps.

Where in Wixom are you located?

My Baby:

Old 10 Mar 2009, 08:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
where else could I have taken it to for the job?

Any competant repair shop can test, replace, and program a solenoid pack.
I've changed dozens of the on PTs and Chrysler vans.