PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Car dies... few hours later it is ok? help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2010, 11:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Car dies... few hours later it is ok? help!

Hi - sorry if this is the wrong forum -
I just bought a 2005 Convertible Touring in great shape but it had the random misfire light on so I got a great deal.

We put some gas and seafoam in and yay the misfire light went away. This had been a fleet vehicle and probably sat for awhile.

Yesterday we turned on the car and the battery light and engine light came on, but the battery light then went off after hitting a bump.

Later in the day the battery light came back on and while sitting in a drive through the radio suddenly turned off, dash instruments besides tach dropped and then the car died. Waiting a few minutes (and pushing it into a spot) gave us a clicking noise when trying to start it.

We got a jump, but after we disconnected the car sputtered and died.

Had to have it towed to our local mechanic/tire place.

They called today because they can't get it to die. The alternator (I think it is actually a generator) is pumping 13.7 /13.9 and the battery is showing fine.

Any ideas? Ignition or something? Occasionally it runs rough when idling, but that has been clearing out as we put decent gas into it. It shows no sign of having been underwater and everything is pretty clean.

Help?
Old 31 May 2010, 02:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Car dies... few hours later it is ok? help!

It does have an alternator. Whenever someone buys a used vehicle the first thing you wna to do is change everything so you know where you stand as fan as maintenance goes. You have no idea how the PT was treated and nobody is going to "fess up" if they know somethings wrong.

It does sound like you have electrical problems but say it's been checked out. Has the connections to the battery been taken off, cleaned and made sure they are tight? I'd also have a second opinion on the charging system. A battery going bad will give all sorts of problems, some not related to others, like the radio.
Old 31 May 2010, 06:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

Was the battery out of the car when they tested it. Auto Zone and others will do a load test. Most places free. Batteries with one or more bad cells can give all kinds of strange problems. Good luck
Old 07 Jun 2010, 07:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok - they did a load test and it came back showing fine and the battery (after charging at the shop for the night) worked great. They spent all day trying to kill it again and it just would not die.

So, 2 days later the battery light comes on again and the car acts like it is going to die. So we park it. 2 days later we try to fire it up. Works fine and no battery light...

Any ideas? I am thinking a new battery at a minimum...

Thanks!
Pat
Old 07 Jun 2010, 07:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

Is it still working?
Old 07 Jun 2010, 10:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

The battery would be the quickest and easiest to try and it sure sounds like a battery or some kind of short.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08 Jun 2010, 08:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My daughter's GT behaved in a similar fashion - would start up, but if you stopped for gas, etc., wouldn't restart, but next day all was well for first start.
Hers was cured by a new battery.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Jun 2010, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Had similar problem on my 04 Turbo. Dead cell in battery so replaced it. Then happened again. I found the ground connection on the frame was loose so check it and be sure it is tight. Also really inspect the battery terminals. I had one that had almost rusted through from underneath and you could see it so it was making intermittent contact. Replaced the cable and tightened up the ground and never had another problem.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks - we just got the battery light on again today. I am going to pull the battery, change it, check the grounds and the terminal connections and see if we can get this fixed.

Thanks!
Pat

Tags
2005, convertible, dies, loss, power