PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What did you do to your Cruiser today?

Like Tree10420Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2013, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Location: formerlyFL panhandle, now :-( West Michigan (again)
Default Re: What did you do to your Cruiser today?

We bought this 2005 Limited in September of 2010 with 49,000 on it. I just put a set of tires on it at 88,000 today.

The only other thing I have done since buying it is adding the wind deflectors on the sun roof/windows just after buying it and a set of brakes around 80,000.

My wish list is putting a street rod grill like this one from E&G. E&G Classics Chrysler PT Cruiser Vertical Street Rod Grille - AutoTruckToys.com

Last edited by tackleberry909; 09 Feb 2013 at 09:38 pm.
Old 09 Feb 2013, 09:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

We drive back home from Florida today. Was about 715 miles, car ran great, cruised at about 75mph the entire way. Nice easy 10 hour drive only stopping for gas, food and bathroom break 3 times.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 10 Feb 2013, 04:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Put her name on for all to see! Named after 2 of my favorite wooden roller coasters: Blue Streak at Cedar Point and Blue Streak at Conneaut Lake Park. The one at Conneaut Lake Park I rode over 250 times in one day in 2004. "hmm... just thought about that my PT is a 2004 as well, go figure"

Old 11 Feb 2013, 11:16 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleberry909 View Post
We bought this 2005 Limited in September of 2010 with 49,000 on it. I just put a set of tires on it at 88,000 today.
Welcome! And congratulations on the new ride.
White '03 GT. Mine since 2010. DIY work (read, budget): DIY cabin air filter, ball joint/control arm bushings/wheel bearing replacement, CV axle replacement, brakes, struts, K&N drop-in filter, oil pressure sensor replacement, Spark plug gasket replacement.

"But I don't want to go among mad people! Alice remarked. Oh you can't help that, said the cat, We're all mad here. You're mad, I'm mad. How do you know I'm mad? asked Alice. You have to be, or you wouldn't have come here, replied the cat."
Old 11 Feb 2013, 11:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Posted dyno test!

Old 11 Feb 2013, 12:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

Replaced the camshaft sensor (with a Mopar part, this time) and the breather hose from the intake to the airbox. Happy to finally be able to 'reliably' go over 2500 RPM.

Ordered a half axle for my passenger side to fix the CV boot which ripped last week; Easier, and only slightly more expensive DIY project.
Busted_PT likes this.
White '03 GT. Mine since 2010. DIY work (read, budget): DIY cabin air filter, ball joint/control arm bushings/wheel bearing replacement, CV axle replacement, brakes, struts, K&N drop-in filter, oil pressure sensor replacement, Spark plug gasket replacement.

"But I don't want to go among mad people! Alice remarked. Oh you can't help that, said the cat, We're all mad here. You're mad, I'm mad. How do you know I'm mad? asked Alice. You have to be, or you wouldn't have come here, replied the cat."
Old 11 Feb 2013, 01:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Changed the front brake pads in like 20min.
Advance Auto Parts opened up a new store in Purcellville. Now I don't have to drive to Leesburg anymore on a Sunday. NAPA sucks on Sunday!
Old 12 Feb 2013, 07:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Buying it in a few hours. 06 GT blacked out. Pretty stoked. Haven't had a turbo car since the 92 Eclipse. Will post some pics later today. In your opinion is this the best PT forum ?

Will
Old 12 Feb 2013, 08:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnMoreTimeandMoney View Post
Buying it in a few hours. 06 GT blacked out. Pretty stoked. Haven't had a turbo car since the 92 Eclipse. Will post some pics later today. In your opinion is this the best PT forum ?

Will
Congrats and enjoy.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Feb 2013, 01:07 am
Young Cruiser

Ok, here is what I've done for the past 10 days.

I traded a 2000 Sebring Convertible JXi (with 206,000 miles and a replaced engine within the past 3 months) for a 2002 PT Cruiser Limited with 77,500 miles (plus $800 cash).

Problems noted from the get go......

The alloy wheels had major pitting issues (and were peeling), and the tires were not "balanced" (and they were all original Goodyear Eagles... from 2001 - D'oh). So I replaced all four tires with Falken Azenis PT-722's at Discount Tires (and that is when I found out how bad the alloys were as they were peeling at the bead). So I found a set of four painted alloys on Craigslist in Southern Illinois (bonus, I also got a set of four 15" steel wheels with Goodyear Eagles with less than 1,000 miles on 'em and moon disc hubcaps) and went down there to pick them up. I then had the new tires installed on the replacement alloys for free the following day (Discount Tire rocks). I then sold the four steel wheel'd Goodyear Eagles today for $250.00. (so my out of pocket for 4 new Falkens plus the silver painted alloys was $375.00 total after everything was said and done).

I noticed the muffler was sounding rather loud when getting on the gas peddle (lit looks like a universal "boy racer" meant to be loud and proud.... but is irritating), so I ordered a Walker Stainless Steel "quiet" muffler from Advance Auto ($119 plus tax minus a $40.00 online coupon so $80.00 out the door... it should show up on my doorstep tomorrow).

I was at Merlin's muffler having the entire car gone over. No leaks (tranny or engine), but the following issues are noted......

1. Both control arm bushings were bad. $268.62 to replace (including parts & labor).
2. Lower right motor mount. $128.18 (including parts & labor).
3. Both rear pressed bearings. $494.67 (including parts & labor).

I am noticing quirks (apparently, the rear looks like it was "bumped" given the frame underneath which the muffler is rattling on looks slightly bent in). Most likely, the previous owner "fixed" a fender bender himself (as it was not reported as it isn't in the NICB database). So I got a different muffler hanger that dropped it by 2 inches so it would no longer rattle. It isn't affecting the car, but when underneath it, it is..... "irritating" me. Also, the front light lenses are pitted and are cloudy, so I picked up a pair of new ones from Ebay for $70. The Sunroof does lift up (but occasionally, won't slide back to completely open, so I am wondering if my sunroof switch is askew). The same for the front Fog Lights (the internal light shows on, but nothin' doin' for the Fog lights... I'll have to check if bulbs are fried or if it is the connectors.

Thats it in a nutshell. $1,416.67 spent so far to get it into shape (I am anal about a car being "right"l).

E-4 USMC 1981-1988 - Motor T - Honorable

Last edited by amarine1; 13 Feb 2013 at 02:46 am.
Closed Thread