Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT Cruiser Help! (TIPM? WCM?)

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2013, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser Help! (TIPM? WCM?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThomp View Post
The latest fix didn't work either. Lasted less than 10 days. I'll add more when I know more.

I know this is a two y/o thread, but does anyone know of the resolution?

I'm flat broke, wife is having surgery tomorrow, my POS cruiser won't start and I don't have a bucket of cash to swap parts, and the wifes car driver seatbelt retention spring broke so we could get cited for no seatbelt while waiting for a replacement.... AND... (bust out the violin) the A/C is ailing and it's 105 here in AZ.
Old 15 Jul 2013, 08:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: 2006 PT Cruiser Help! (TIPM? WCM?)

Hello eline,

If you are having the EXACT same problem as me, I have learned to manage it.

#1. Whatever the root problem is (almost half a year in-shop and Chrysler couldn't figure it out), it is caused by HEAT. If I leave my car outside, uncovered on a hot day, there's a 50-50 chance the car will die. Either find shade, or only drive when the car is not hot (mornings/evenings).

#2. Buy a bunch of fuses. The problem causes a fuse to blow in the fuse box. I don't know off the top of my head, but I want to say 10 amp fuses (the little red ones, it should say the # of amps on the top). The fuse that is the problem for me is to the far right of the box, in the middle. If you pull it out, it is very easy to see if it has blown. I always keep 2 boxes of fuses on hand. They are reasonably cheap, and anyone can install them. Note: The root cause is heat, so changing the fuse will make the car go, but expect that if it is still hot, that the car will blow the fuse again 2-5 times in a span of 20 minutes (and yet the dealership was unable to recreate the problem once when they were diagnosing it). Find someplace cool/shaded to take the car during that time, and then the car should be good to go again after a few hours.

Thousands of dollars on tows and numerous wasted hours on Chrysler technicians, and I found a band-aid for that problem that costs less than a dollar.

Good luck!

and yes, I still drive this pos

Last edited by JThomp; 15 Jul 2013 at 08:26 pm.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 02:29 am
Senior Cruiser

JT; sorry about your tale of woe. Which fuse keeps blowing? The fuse cavity number should be under the tipm cover. --- Fuses blow for a reason [like a short to ground, overload, etc.]. What year pt?
Old 16 Jul 2013, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: 2006 PT Cruiser Help! (TIPM? WCM?)

Hello pt06,

Thank you for responding. It is the fuse marked #4 in the TIPM. It is a 2006 PT Cruiser.

Thanks again!
Old 18 Jul 2013, 03:29 am
Senior Cruiser

jt; #4 fuse supplies 12v to the ignition switch. It goes from the tipm as a pink/blue trace wire to a multi-connector behind the instrument panel. Then changes to a solid red wire up to the ignition switch. I've read stories here about wires getting jammed around the steering column area. good luck.
JThomp likes this.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 06:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

pt06,

Thanks for the info! The problem is that they replaced all of the wiring from the TIPM to the ignition switch (twice) and the TIPM (4-6 times, I lost count) for sure, and I think even the ignition switch once.

Any idea what else coule be causing that fuse to blow (especially anything related to hot outdoor conditions)?

Thanks for your help!
Old 19 Jul 2013, 06:25 am
Senior Cruiser

JT; If they did change the wiring [properly], then verify that the ign switch is good. Remember, this circuit is a low amperage circuit, and anything added downstream of the ign switch could cause this problem. Or any short to ground.

This is not your father's Packard.
JThomp likes this.
Old 19 Jul 2013, 01:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

pt06,

Like I said, I'm pretty sure the ignition switch was replaced too. Is there anything that specifically would be tied to overly-hot conditions outside? I tried the "replace everything until we eliminate all possible culprits" approach with the dealership before. This time, I want to look at this smartly, and actually try to understand the problem.

I'm hoping to figure this enigma out, so all the other PT Cruiser owners dealing with this problem will have some knowledge available to them.

Thanks!
Old 31 Jul 2013, 03:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Hello eline,

If you are having the EXACT same problem as me, I have learned to manage it.

#1. Whatever the root problem is (almost half a year in-shop and Chrysler couldn't figure it out), it is caused by HEAT. If I leave my car outside, uncovered on a hot day, there's a 50-50 chance the car will die. Either find shade, or only drive when the car is not hot (mornings/evenings).

#2. Buy a bunch of fuses. The problem causes a fuse to blow in the fuse box. I don't know off the top of my head, but I want to say 10 amp fuses (the little red ones, it should say the # of amps on the top). The fuse that is the problem for me is to the far right of the box, in the middle. If you pull it out, it is very easy to see if it has blown. I always keep 2 boxes of fuses on hand. They are reasonably cheap, and anyone can install them. Note: The root cause is heat, so changing the fuse will make the car go, but expect that if it is still hot, that the car will blow the fuse again 2-5 times in a span of 20 minutes (and yet the dealership was unable to recreate the problem once when they were diagnosing it). Find someplace cool/shaded to take the car during that time, and then the car should be good to go again after a few hours.

Thousands of dollars on tows and numerous wasted hours on Chrysler technicians, and I found a band-aid for that problem that costs less than a dollar.

Good luck!

and yes, I still drive this pos
Thanks for the info, last I checked my fuses all of them were intact, but this does happen more when it gets hot out. Also, it's an intermittent issue. When it first started happening, I was going to say is was th ignition switch, More recently, I found that when I move the shifter from PARK, to 1st, then back to PARK, I get pretty good results. Maybe a 70-80% success. (usually not when I want to prove to my wife how easy it is to overcome the problem)
Old 31 Jul 2013, 03:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
pt06,

Thanks for the info! The problem is that they replaced all of the wiring from the TIPM to the ignition switch (twice) and the TIPM (4-6 times, I lost count) for sure, and I think even the ignition switch once.

Any idea what else coule be causing that fuse to blow (especially anything related to hot outdoor conditions)?

Thanks for your help!
Good thing I live in Arizona then, otherwise I might be worried about heat!

Looking at it from a heat issue, It's probably not close to the engine since that get hot anyway, but something that is expanding with heat, close to an area with sunlight hitting it, possibly chaffing the wires that go through a bulkhead, or expand to touch a connector. Maybe a grommet missing, or something bent. Something is shorting the fuses for sure. That sucks that the dealer can't fix it.

btw, I've officially labeled my 2006 a POS cruizer!

Last edited by eline65; 31 Jul 2013 at 03:48 pm.

Tags
2006 pt cruiser, tipm, tsb, wcm