Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can't open driver's door from inside

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2011, 03:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Can't open driver's door from inside

The latch still has spring attached but won't open door. After removing door panel (actually watching someone else do it) Nothing appears broken or missing.
Does anyone have a nice close up shot of how the plastic on the inside of the door panel is supposed to look like when properly put together? Anybody out there?

Last edited by PTDarryl; 13 Aug 2011 at 03:41 pm.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 02:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Can't open driver's door from inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTDarryl View Post
The latch still has spring attached but won't open door. After removing door panel (actually watching someone else do it) Nothing appears broken or missing.
Does anyone have a nice close up shot of how the plastic on the inside of the door panel is supposed to look like when properly put together? Anybody out there?
I have the same problem with the front passenger door. There is resistence pulling on the inside door handle, and it can only be opened from the outside.

I'm willing to take the door panel off, but don't know what to look for once I do.
Original owner, delivered May 11, 2000
Old 09 Jul 2015, 04:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My parents gave me a PT Cruiser and the cruise control didn't work when they gave it to me (which they were unaware of) and the driver door stopped opening from the inside within a few months of their giving it to me. Needless to say, I'm starting to have my doubts about this thing. Anyways, here's how I fixed the door: I took the interior panel by first removing the screw behind the opener handle on the inside and then taking the two bolts out of the arm rest. Carefully insert a flat screwdriver under the inside panel towards the bottom of the back end and pry around the car, popping the popscrews out of the door. Be careful not to stab into the glue underneath the waterproofing rubber sheet inside the door. If you do so, just work the sheet and the glue back in place with your hands and try to make sure there are no gaps in the glue. If you take the whole panel off, unplug the wire from the lock button and remember to plug it back in when you button it all back up. What is going wrong with your door is that the door release is metal, the arm from the door release on up to your inside door handle is metal so none of that stuff stretches out, but there is one last stage between that arm and the door handle that is plastic. Plastic is pliable and it bends and stretches slowly over time, especially in high heat. Eventually this piece stretches from all the pressure put on it and it stops being able to pull the arm far enough to open the door. When it first starts to go, it will still UNLOCK the door by pulling on the handle, but it won't pop the door open. So what I did was I popped the blue cuff off the metal arm and rotated it away a little, still leaving the metal arm in the hole of the blue piece, just taking the cuff off of it. I ran a piece of insulated speaker wire around the 90 degree bend in the metal arm where it goes into the blue piece and I pulled it through one of the holes in the door handle part of the panel where the handle itself pivots in the panel so that the wire would come out of the door, into the car. I pulled it out into the cabin and looped it back into the other hole where the door handle itself pivots in the panel and wound it back around the 90 degree L in the metal arm again. I repeated this so that I had a double loop of wire hanging into the cabin of the car. The first time I made one loop inside the cabin, I threaded the wire through a little metal knob I had with some little holes in it, and the second time I made the loop inside the cabin, I passed it through the same holes. this way I had a little dongly handle hanging inside the cabin on the car door, hanging down from behind the door handle. I made it so that the loops hung down like four to six inches or so. i pulled the end of the wire back through the way I had done the first loop and I took the beginning and end of the wire and wound them off on the metal arm after I hooked the blue cuff back onto the metal arm. I triple knotted the speaker wire pretty tight on the metal arm so that the loops wouldn't be able to pull out. so now on the inside of my car I had a little dongle hanging from a two-ply loop of wire. This whole thing was hanging down from behind my door handle. It doesn't look like the Mona Lisa but it is just a little wire with a little brass piece hanging on it. When I pull the door handle, I either put a finger through the little brass loop I put on the loops of wire or I grab the brass loop with my other handle and I pull the loops forward toward the engine of the car. In this way, I am able to pull the metal arm a tiny bit further than the door handle pulls it, and the door pops right open. If you didn't want to do this repair that changes the appearance of the inside panel of the door a tiny bit, you could probably order and install a whole new door handle assembly...the part that has the last stage made of plastic. I'm not sure but it may not be possible to just buy the handle assembly, and if it's not, you have to buy a whole new panel. Of course that new panel may eventually go bad too, since it will also have that same last crappy plastic stage. My way's a little uglier, but it should never stop doing the trick.
Old 01 Jun 2017, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
I have the same problem with the front passenger door. There is resistence pulling on the inside door handle, and it can only be opened from the outside.

I'm willing to take the door panel off, but don't know what to look for once I do.
Hi Larry,
I have the same problem with the same door, have you fixed it? What did you do?
Appreciate!!