PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser Ignition Key

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2012, 10:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser Ignition Key

Hello all. I have a question concerning the ignition key. When I bought my 01 I got 1 key. It is fairly battered, but works fine. I would like to have a spare key, but seem to get a different answer from every vendor I speak with. The dealer tells me the key must be coded and then programmed to the vehicle. ($168.00) The key maker at Ace Hardware assures me he can clone the key and it will work without any programming required. ($85.00) True Value can clone the key, but is unsure if programming is needed. The owners manual states that you can program a spare key, but you need 2 keys to do this. I installed a remote start unit using an interface box which clones the code in the key and required only 1 key to program.

Does anyone know the correct answer?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10 Jul 2012, 01:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser Ignition Key

yes. when they say "cloning", they are transferring the programming from your key to the new key.

do the acehardware one unless the other place is cheaper. you could even try homedepot or lowes as they should have the same cloning machine.
Badglas likes this.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 03:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. I assumed that a cloned key would work, but I also know not to challenge worse. I thought someone here on the forum would know for sure. Thanks again!
Old 10 Jul 2012, 05:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The manual states you need two keys to program a new key. The procedure is in the owners manual. I believe the dealer is correct that you will need their service to provide you the second key. You can try an Ace Hardware, but if it doesn't work you won't have to pay them.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 09:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

you can get a key made any place that will worke the doors--it will not however turn off the alarm but to get the car to start and to operat the alarm you have to either have 2 keys or the program the dealer has if you are a gambling man then go for the cloned key at the verry least it should open the doors and trunk
Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:47 am
Young Cruiser

Unless your in a hurry to get the spare key made, you can buy them off ebay for around $13.00 usd W/ free shipping. Thats what i did and took them to Ace Hardware and had them cut and "clone" them for me at a substantially less price then the 85 bucks they wanted for one of theirs. Here is a link to what i bought from ebay.

CHRYSLER TRANSPONDER CHIP UNCUT IGNITION KEY 500 x2 | eBay

Hope this helps......
Old 10 Jul 2012, 11:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

If the key has a flat, black head, it is not a programmable key and you can have one made anywhere.

If it has a fat, gray head, it needs to be programmed before it will start the engine.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 12:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
If the key has a flat, black head, it is not a programmable key and you can have one made anywhere.

If it has a fat, gray head, it needs to be programmed before it will start the engine.
^^^this man speaketh the truth.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 02:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i had my spare key cut at the local hardware store for $3 and it works fine. no chip.

if my car is supposed to have a chip in the key, something must have been bypassed by the previous owner.

hide the original key in the column(ziptied to the lock cylinder) so you can use normal cheap blanks. if you're paranoid you can grind a tooth off the original key after you make sure the new keys work. if not, you have a spare emergency key in the column. i would try this. i mean why not, you could have 2 working keys for under $10 and a spare hidden inside for future emergencies. while you're in there you can also disconnect that stupid button you have to press every time you take the key out. i did that to mine (:

Last edited by rob342; 10 Jul 2012 at 04:22 pm.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 03:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Just to chime in my experience.
I went the E-Bay route. bought a "programmable " key off E-Bay, got it cut at Lowes for free. Then for a non refundable $50 had it programmed at the dealer.
The dealer did tell me, there is a chance that the key will not work, but slight. Well it did not work. They said I could of bought a key and had it programmed there for $106 total.
Since I was already there I just bought the dealer key and had it programmed.
Out of the goodness of their heart, they knocked ten bucks off the original programming charge.
I was not real happy, to end up having about $150 wrapped up in an extra key, but live and learn I guess.

So for all of you going the E-Bay route, be aware.

For giggles I tried to program the extra key since I had two, but no luck
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice