Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
rising temp when driving with ac on but not at idle with ac on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2012, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question rising temp when driving with ac on but not at idle with ac on

This has probably been asked before, but i can"t find an answer.
I have an 04 N/A 5spd with 143,000 miles on it. last summer I drove it in 100+ temps and it ran fine but the air didn't blow cold. this summer with 100+ temps again, the air is blowing cool, but not cold, and the temp will start rising but it never gets to the red just the line above normal (normal being at three o'clock)
When im driving down the highway this happens but when i am in stop and go traffic the temp stays normal.
is there anything wrong or should i be worried about bigger problem.
and the fine works on both speeds. i have tested it already.
thanks for the help
Old 12 Jul 2012, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: rising temp when driving with ac on but not at idle with ac on

Have you had the R134a tested to see if it's up to pressure where it should be?

One bar above the half way mark on the temp control isn't really something to worry about in the kind of heat we're having. Just keep an eye on it.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 07:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If temp goes up at speed but not at idle, either radiator is clogged or water pump is weak.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Jul 2012, 01:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

@Crewzin- I havent had a chance to have the pressure on the R132-A checked yet
Earlier I ran the car for a while, took it for a drive and then felt the radiator for hot and cold spots.The results are, lower passenger corner warm. Lower driver side corner Hot. Bottom middle warm to hot. All across the top and down the sides hot, but center cool to touch in some parts and hot in others. Should a flush be done? And if so how much coolant does the entire system take?
And should I look into replacing the thermostat?
Old 14 Jul 2012, 01:36 am
Cool Cruiser

I would start with a flush. You'll need about 7.5qts of Zerex G-05 coolant. So buy one gallon of that and one gallon of distilled water and mix 'em.

Buy a new thermostat and radiator cap as well.

Make sure your fan works on both speeds and recharge your AC afterwards for better interior cooling.

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 02:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

I went ahead and drained, flushed and refilled the coolant system and also changed the thermostat and replaced the radiator cap with a 16psi but my rising temps occur much quicker now to the point where i cannot drive home from work without turning the heater on for the last five miles of my trip and the drive home is only about fifteen miles for me.
when i changed the thermostat, i wonder if i put it in misaligned and if so will that cause a rise in temps?
Old 22 Jul 2012, 02:45 am
Cool Cruiser

Sounds as if there is air in the system.

How'd the old coolant look?

01 w/JBA headers, Borla catback, Airaid intake, lowered, purple with shiny wheels.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 03:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default [url]http://www.shamrockchicago.com/MSDSZerex-G-05Af.pdf[/url]

cdub
This may or may not have some thoughts to help solve your issue?
See post #6
So cruiser overheats when AC is on.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...e-sorts-2.html

Straight water in the coolant system will help the engine to run at a lower temperature. Antifreeze simply increases surface tension of the water, raises the boiling point of the mixed coolant and helps prevent the coolant from freezing. That is really why you should read the mixing recommendation on the container of the coolant you are using and not the OEM manual. Less antifreeze and just what is required as per the recommendation is a better choice. Just watch your driving the ambient temperature for any needed antifreeze or water mix adjustment for a season change.

Check your AC an easy way. Go to your local food change in the cookwares buy a small temperature probe and place it in the vent and see what your AC temperature are. log them with the ambient. This is one way to see if you are having a AC issues. On 100*+ ambients you are not going to be in a freezer compartment. See what the numbers are and report up on your thread here.

Or

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN