Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Error Codes/Oil Consumption

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2012, 08:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Error Codes/Oil Consumption

Hello, my mother owns a 2002 PT Cruiser Limited Edition and has had tons of problems but most have been easy to fix. Recently however, she has had problems with low oil before her next scheduled oil change. First she got one from Jiffy Lube and thought it could have been an error on their part, so she got another from NTB and still had a problem. She heard of some kind of problem with PT Cruisers and Oil problems but can't remember exacts to them. She thinks it may just be needing a new valve cover gasket, but I don't know. Could use some help if anyone knows anything about this.

Recently, within the past week, her car has had problems shifting. Would run fine most of the time and just randomly, it wouldn't shift and she'd park it, sit a minute and start it back up and it would be fine. Now, it is happening more often, about every other time she drives it and is really a pain.
I looked up the error codes brought up from the 3 key turns thing and got these.
P1674 Tachometer Control Circuit
P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

Any information on those two codes will be helpful. We don't have money for proper mechanic services but we are decent mechanics ourselves.

We're not sure if the oil problem caused the other problems but since they happened right one after the other, I put them here together and any information on either would be extremely helpful.

Thank You.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 09:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Error Codes/Oil Consumption

Odd question for you, is there any chance her PT's been through deep water??? Just curious, there are some issues with the engine/tranny getting wet and having oddball error codes tossed.

As to the P0700, I just answered that one on your other post. For the oil, the first question is the easy one - do you see an oil leak? Spots on the driveway? Oil around the manifold? Smoke coming off the pipes? Need to check your engine bay and see if there's an obvious leak.

My first suggestion would be to warm up the engine, run it for a few minutes until it's warm, NOT HOT. Spray the engine down with either Grease Lightning or Simple Green (I prefer using non-toxic natural cleaners), making sure you coat the dirty parts well. Then hose down the engine (DO NOT USE A JET WASHER!). I use my compressor and a small blow tube to blow the water off the engine, but basically you need to make sure you clean the water out from around the spark plugs and anywhere else it will sit.

After this, you should have a fairly clean platform to start from. I would suggest monitoring the engine bay for a few days and see if you're leaking there.

If you're concerned that you're 'eating' oil, then you might want to run a compression test on the PT. Takes, oh, maybe a half hour depending on how hard it is to get your plugs out, assuming you have the correct tools and a compression test unit.

Personally, I doubt she's blowing down, but it's possible that you have a problem with rings or a leak somewhere. I personally would roll the PT up on some ramps, coat the undercarriage with Simple Green and wash it all down. Rinse it off good and see if there are any leaks underneath. That is so much easier than the engine bay, and most leaks are found underneath.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 09:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh, and KC...

lol
Old 18 Jul 2012, 09:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Replace your pcv valve for the oil consumption.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jul 2012, 10:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yep, and if Chrome didn't mention it, the oil sending unit LOVES to leak
Old 18 Jul 2012, 11:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Yep, and if Chrome didn't mention it, the oil sending unit LOVES to leak
OH YEAH, Uptown is right! Forgot all about that, it is probably the primary culprit!
Old 19 Jul 2012, 02:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Never has been through deep water and haven't noticed one single leak at the house but never checked elsewhere, will try and do the engine cleaning to make sure though. Oil sending unit seems easy enough to try first.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 06:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

On her shifting problem. Has the transaxle ever been flushed and new ATF+4 fluid been put in since she owned the car? Has the fluid level been checked? The code P0700 is a generic code for something wrong with the transaxle and a scanner needs to be hooked up to pinpoint what is actually wrong.

I'd get your overheating problem fixed before anything else. You/she could cause serious damage running around with an overheated engine.
Old 19 Jul 2012, 07:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If your not seeing spots or smelling oil burning, I would strongly consider a new or at least clean the pvc valve in the valve cover for your oil consumption. Like CREWZIN said, a transmission service with ATF+4 fluid.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
oil consumption, p0700, p1674