Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 AC Charging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2012, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 AC Charging

I went out today and bought a recharge kit for my wifes 2007 PT Cruiser. I did research and found what I believe is the low side, located on the passenger side by the motor mount. However, when I hooked everything up the reading was in the red and slowly increasing. So I removed the connector and am doing more research to figure it out. Is there a way to lower the pressure in the system?

Also a side note, when we are running around town with A/C button is pressed and get stop at a red-light it causes the engine to shake. Then when we either start to move or turn the A/C button off it quits. We changed the spark plugs because we heard that could cause the problem, but it still continues to do it.

I do not know if the problems are related. I am just looking for some answers.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 03:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: 2007 AC Charging

The problem is you need a new fan. Do some research here. There must have been a dozen inquiries about the same issue in the past couple of months.

The engine fan is two speed. The fan is supposed to come on as soon as you turn the AC on, because it cools the condenser. Without that cooling, the AC overheats and puts added load on the compressor, which, in turn, overloads the engine causing it to stumble. As soon as you start to drive and air flows through the condenser, all is well until you stop again.

A dealer will charge several hundred dollars for the repair. You can buy a good fan on line for about a hundred bucks and do it yourself. Repair isn't too bad. Instructions are on this forum with minor differences depending on model year. I just did it a few weeks ago in a couple of hours and I haven't turned wrenches for 40 years.

Last edited by NightWing; 20 Jul 2012 at 03:04 pm.
Old 20 Jul 2012, 04:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 AC Charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinckley View Post
I went out today and bought a recharge kit for my wifes 2007 PT Cruiser. I did research and found what I believe is the low side, located on the passenger side by the motor mount. However, when I hooked everything up the reading was in the red and slowly increasing. So I removed the connector and am doing more research to figure it out. Is there a way to lower the pressure in the system?

Also a side note, when we are running around town with A/C button is pressed and get stop at a red-light it causes the engine to shake. Then when we either start to move or turn the A/C button off it quits. We changed the spark plugs because we heard that could cause the problem, but it still continues to do it.

I do not know if the problems are related. I am just looking for some answers.
If you bought the can with the hose or even a separate fill hose, it will only fit the low side anyways. If you take both caps off you will see the high side is fatter and the connector wont fit. Is the car running with ac set to max cool recirculating? When the compressor is off the guage will climb, when the compressor comes on the guage will drop, once the compressor stays on the guage will steadily drop as you fill it, as it fills the guage will start to rise again, most cars take 1-1/2 pounds which is usually 22 oz ( 1 large can to fill from empty) but you want to keep the guage between 30-40 ( mine is at 35 and ice cold in my 02) also before filling put one can of oil charge in it ( usually a 3oz can, as you lose 134a you also lose oil that lubricates the system. Mine was rough till I put the oil in it, apparently it was low... as I released the 134a it was just vapor/gas... after the oil charge it would release a foamy yellow goo (oil) so my system was dry inside as I dont know the history of the car and the ac didnt work for a long time, the last owner just popped a can in to get it to work so Id buy it ( lied to me about going to a shop )
If the system is real low, yes it will go into the red till it starts cycling continuosly as you start filling but should come down as it cycles. Hope this helps you.