PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Were the designers insane? or just high :-p

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2012, 12:54 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Were the designers insane? or just high :-p

So i've been working on the neon engine since well.....neons were born. I always noticed that they were a bit of a pain to work on, ya know things in the way of things, easy tasks were made difficult. Changing a VCG took an hour, instead of 15 minutes like on most 4cyl's.

I went to Check out my timing belt on the PT today, i've had the hood open thousands of times on my PT.......and yes its a neon engine, which i know inside and out *many head gasket changes in my past*.

I believe on design day the people who designed the pt, and decided to give it the neon engine......were smoking some strong juju......

Lets take a cranky, immature, finicky, picky engine that makes simple jobs tough, and CRAM it into an engine compartment....where a family of mice would move out because they didnt have enough living space....and see what happens! :-p

The end result? I look at my timing belt cover, and say eff it. Then look at my Valve cover, consider doing the VCG, then realizing the PS reservoir is directly on top of it.....and say eff that.....

Thought about cutting my flex pipe to see if letting air pressure out before the cat would solve my stalling issues........then realized i needed a lift because of ground clearance......

Thought about replacing the manifold........nope......maybe the Purge canister? wait thats crammed between the firewall, an axle and an engine........nope.

I love my PT dont get me wrong. Nothing but love for the car.........but why did they make it so dang hard to work on.........anyway end of rant aimed towards PT designers haha
Old 23 Jul 2012, 07:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Were the designers insane? or just high :-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
So i've been working on the neon engine since well.....neons were born. I always noticed that they were a bit of a pain to work on, ya know things in the way of things, easy tasks were made difficult. Changing a VCG took an hour, instead of 15 minutes like on most 4cyl's.

I went to Check out my timing belt on the PT today, i've had the hood open thousands of times on my PT.......and yes its a neon engine, which i know inside and out *many head gasket changes in my past*.

I believe on design day the people who designed the pt, and decided to give it the neon engine......were smoking some strong juju......

Lets take a cranky, immature, finicky, picky engine that makes simple jobs tough, and CRAM it into an engine compartment....where a family of mice would move out because they didnt have enough living space....and see what happens! :-p

The end result? I look at my timing belt cover, and say eff it. Then look at my Valve cover, consider doing the VCG, then realizing the PS reservoir is directly on top of it.....and say eff that.....

Thought about cutting my flex pipe to see if letting air pressure out before the cat would solve my stalling issues........then realized i needed a lift because of ground clearance......

Thought about replacing the manifold........nope......maybe the Purge canister? wait thats crammed between the firewall, an axle and an engine........nope.

I love my PT dont get me wrong. Nothing but love for the car.........but why did they make it so dang hard to work on.........anyway end of rant aimed towards PT designers haha
If it was easier than it would look like a neon grafted onto the windshield of a PT!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Jul 2012, 11:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

The days of lifting 1/2 of the engine cover on a ModelT and getting to whatever you need were over long, long ago.

My Neon just turned over 284,000 miles on original engine, has over 100 runs at full 1/4 drag strip and doesn't burn any appreciable amount of oil-

Not sure it's and more 'finicky' than any other engine

Someone designs a body, then some poor jerk has to fit an engine and accompaniments into it
Old 23 Jul 2012, 01:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
The days of lifting 1/2 of the engine cover on a ModelT and getting to whatever you need were over long, long ago.

My Neon just turned over 284,000 miles on original engine, has over 100 runs at full 1/4 drag strip and doesn't burn any appreciable amount of oil-

Not sure it's and more 'finicky' than any other engine

Someone designs a body, then some poor jerk has to fit an engine and accompaniments into it
I just wish there was more space haha. My mustang..i can change belts on in 5 minutes.......pt over an hour haha. I have large hands and PT has small holes haha
Old 23 Jul 2012, 02:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your Rustang doesn't come to almost a point at the front end! Big difference.
wwpptc likes this.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

PT's are not the only vehicle out there that is not user friendly to work on. Aside from being able to check, battery,fuses and/or relays, fluid levels basically that is all that is required when considerations for what is accessible to Joe or Jane consumer. Other levels of access some auto makers have designed training classes for already accomplished certified Technicians like ASE Master Technicians to learn how to perform other none mechanically universal repairs and become factory certifide Technicians. Example of one a BMW Certified Technician.
It is also why many of us must use our ingenuity to make tools or something to work in place of a specific factory tool for some DIY jobs.

Here is an example of many home made tools I have. This one allows me to rebuild NONE serviceable calipers. Very primative but might be the only one like it in the world?

I know a few of my friends here on this PT forum have some of their own as well!

wwpptc, Busted_PT and Badglas like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 23 Jul 2012 at 05:05 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 23 Jul 2012, 05:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

I don't find the PT anymore difficult to work on than most FWD vehicles. I've yet to see a simple timing belt replacement on any of them.

Open that great big hood on a C4 Vette and you will run back to the PT for most jobs. The LT1 engines have the distributor under the water pump. Ask CREWZIN how much fun a spark plug change is on his "other" car. Better yet look under the hood of a ZR1 at a car show sometime. Try and find the starter or coil pack. Hint: they are under the intake manifold plenum.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 23 Jul 2012, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Even my 98 Exploder with 200k miles, one of the spark plugs takes almost 1 hour to change even with every conceivable tool to do the job at my dispose.

I look at the PT and know that some jobs are going to simply be a complete weekend job and lots of patients to acomplish!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Jul 2012, 05:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

But it looks pretty.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 23 Jul 2012 at 05:32 pm.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 06:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
But it looks pretty.

That is one of the cleanest engine compartments I have seen in years.

Any mods? The plenum runners look polished in the photo, and the top of the plenum looks different. Beautiful car! Thanks for posting the pic! You have no idea how many hours I spent working on those cars. Ahh, memories.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)