Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C over 200psi! HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2012, 06:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Exclamation A/C over 200psi! HELP

The AC in my cruiser went out last week, and right now the heat is killer, i went and bought a recharge kit and when i checked the low pressure, it was over 200psi. It was about 100 out, but i know thats way to high. Is it a bad compressor, a blockage or what? Also, when the car is in neutral (5spd manual) and you rev the engine to around 4000 RPM, a horrible grinding noise comes from up by the radiator, on the underside of the car, so maybe its the compressor?
Thanks,
PTVibe

Anything is possible with some sweat and elbow grease!

2001 PT Cruiser LE, Purchased June 29, 2012, Born April 2001

Wanted Mods: Milani Rims, 2" Lowering Kit, Aftermarket Cold Air Intake, Custom Painted Trim, Painted Calipers, Slotted/Drilled Rotors, Custom Seat Covers

In Progress Mods: Shopping for rims, rewiring fog lights into parking lights

Completed Mods: Courtesy LED Strips (Thanks to rob342), Interior LED Lights
Old 24 Jul 2012, 06:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: A/C over 200psi! HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTVibe View Post
The AC in my cruiser went out last week, and right now the heat is killer, i went and bought a recharge kit and when i checked the low pressure, it was over 200psi. It was about 100 out, but i know thats way to high. Is it a bad compressor, a blockage or what? Also, when the car is in neutral (5spd manual) and you rev the engine to around 4000 RPM, a horrible grinding noise comes from up by the radiator, on the underside of the car, so maybe its the compressor?
Thanks,
PTVibe
Sounds like the compressor clutch bearing went out, had one do the exact same on my truck. Do you smell anything that smells like front disc brake pads burning? that is the same smell you will get from that compressor clutch if its binding from a failed bearing. cheaper and easirt to replace the compressor than trying to replace the bearing and risk causing a seal to leak on the shaft.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 07:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonocativo View Post
Sounds like the compressor clutch bearing went out, had one do the exact same on my truck. Do you smell anything that smells like front disc brake pads burning? that is the same smell you will get from that compressor clutch if its binding from a failed bearing. cheaper and easirt to replace the compressor than trying to replace the bearing and risk causing a seal to leak on the shaft.
Yes, the first time it happened there was a horrible smell, so i think that was probably it. I'm getting it checked by my mechanic so ill have more info tomorrow
Thanks
PTVbe

Anything is possible with some sweat and elbow grease!

2001 PT Cruiser LE, Purchased June 29, 2012, Born April 2001

Wanted Mods: Milani Rims, 2" Lowering Kit, Aftermarket Cold Air Intake, Custom Painted Trim, Painted Calipers, Slotted/Drilled Rotors, Custom Seat Covers

In Progress Mods: Shopping for rims, rewiring fog lights into parking lights

Completed Mods: Courtesy LED Strips (Thanks to rob342), Interior LED Lights
Old 24 Jul 2012, 07:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTVibe View Post
Yes, the first time it happened there was a horrible smell, so i think that was probably it. I'm getting it checked by my mechanic so ill have more info tomorrow
Thanks
PTVbe
LOL I had no clue what it was, My buddy said it smelled like my brakes were locked up but didnt smell it in the wells, then it got bad enough that the fumes ran me out, even with windows down it burned my eyes and couldnt breathe...whew it was bad.