Advertisements
Mounts?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pluminator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2012, 07:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Mounts?

I went out for the heck of it and popped the hood to see how hard the timing belt would be to get to, looked at what motor mounts I could find...
The top passenger and lower passenger I could see, top looks like it is really close to the inside so I assume it needs changing, the lower rubber is crumbling in the center. I can put my hand on the motor and rock it back and forth, so either I have superior super powers or they are just that bad? This is not a little rock, Im talking 4 to 6 inches ir seems...lol

What are your inputs on this? I have spinal injuries and really dont have the tools ( sold everything but basics ) so what would be a reasonable price for a shop to do them? and if I supplied the parts?
Should I buy some good ones and fill them with urethane or buy racing mounts? Any links to buy some good ones other than Oriellys?

Thanks everyone in advance, I may attempt the timing belt/water pump since motor mounts on passenger side needs done but Im dreading doing it with no knowledge of the PT's timing.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 08:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mounts?

There have been some good How too and pictures here of late on the subject. UptownSport is a great source of info on the timing belt timing.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Jul 2012, 08:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
There have been some good How too and pictures here of late on the subject. UptownSport is a great source of info on the timing belt timing.
I dont know what Im doing wrong on this forum but the search doesnt pull up what Im looking for, it always pulls up a ton of threads with no related topics? I read on one thread about using the search ( think it was a sticky, but dont remember ) But its complicated to find stuff, some I just happened upon them....
Old 24 Jul 2012, 09:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonocativo View Post
I dont know what Im doing wrong on this forum but the search doesnt pull up what Im looking for, it always pulls up a ton of threads with no related topics? I read on one thread about using the search ( think it was a sticky, but dont remember ) But its complicated to find stuff, some I just happened upon them....
The search doesn't realy work for me very well ether. Try wording things in different ways.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Jul 2012, 09:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have better luck google searching my question and adding pt cruiser in front of it. A group of links will pop up from here and at the bottom of that list will be something that says click here to see more from ptcruiserlinks. Click that and it will only show threads from here.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 01:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Locations of Engine mounts:

Passenger side: directly next to the timing belt shroud

Front: directly under your licence plate and radiator, about 4 inches in.

Rear: Directly to the side of the exhaust manifold

Driver side aka Tranny mount: under the battery box on the drivers side.

Price to have shop do the work if you supply the parts:

Passenger and front =1 hour labor

Rear= 40min hour labor

Tranny mount= 45min- 1HR labor

At whatever labor rate the shop you select charges.

When you do the mounts, do them all at once, or in pairs.

Such as Passenger and tranny mount. Or front and rear mount.

NEVER do only passenger and front, back and passenger, tranny and front etc.

The reason is if you put in mounts that do not directly represent eachother horizontally, The engine movement will destroy the new mounts because they will take more and more of the load, thus becoming weak.

So either do all 4 at once. or corrosponding mounts in sets of 2 as metioned above.

Instructions for changing mount:

Make sure your vehicle is on a 100% LEVEL SURFACE. I broke my neck because mine was not. so dont ask just do it.

Passenger:

You will need a helper.

Take your garden variety jack, and a thick piece of wood, Place the wood ontop of the jack and situate this under the oil pan. *wood keeps jack from rupturing the pan*

Lift the motor about 2-3 Inches whilst leaving the car on the ground.

Loosen mount bolt, remove.

Pull out mount, replace with new one

Re-install bolt *helper will lift and lower the engine as needed, so that you can pass the bolt through the new mount and thread it in.

Tighten.

Front Mount:

DO NOT RAISE THE CAR. PERIOD.

While the engine is still supported by the jack crawl as far as you can under the front bumper, and look up

You will see a large piece of steel that looks like an ice scraper right in the middle of the car, coming from the engine, towards the front of the frame. *this is the front mount*

It has one very large bolt which is vertically placed in the front of the mount, going up towards the top of the engine compartment.

Remove bolt, when its almost out, support the mount or have helper suppor *weighs like 10lbs dont want it landing on your face*.

Remove mount,

Replace

Have helper move engine again so you can insert and tighten mounting bolt.

Rear!

Same as front, only you need to lift the whole vehicle, on jackstands to get under there. Use the jack on some cinder blocks to raise it up high enough, dont forget the wood and lift from where the manifold meets the block. an inch or two should suffice.

Driver side/Tranny mount.

Jack up drivers front side of car.

Remove wheel.

Lower car onto jackstand so it stays 100% level as if it were sitting normally on all 4 wheels.

Remove air filter box

Remove battery

Remove battery box.

You will then see the same mount that you did on the passenger side, Connected to the transmission and the engine compartment.

On the left side *looking at engine from front bumper* you will see a large nut. dont touch it, its welded :-)

Go around to the driver side wheel well. and look at your front shock/strut. You will see a plastic cap to the left of it on the inside of the wheel well.

Remove it.

Inside you will see a bolt *this is the bolt you must remove*

Place jack/wood under transmission and lift 2 inches

Use a cheater bar. and remove the bolt.

Once its out the tranny mount should slip right off.

Replace mount

Have helper move engine to line up the bolt

Replace bolt

tighten

Replace cap

Drop jack down

Put wheel back on

Reassemble battery box, battery, air cleaner etc

wallah! you have changed all 4 mounts. :-D

But seriously. Make sure the car is always level.

I broke my neck trying to remove a Tranny mount bolt on a car that was on a slight incline. WAY too much torque needed even with a 4ft breaker bar.......i lost my job, my house, my ex gf, all because i forgot to make sure it was level. So JUST DO IT!

Good luck if you decide to do it on your own. Feel happy if you pay someone else to. ITs a pain but not too difficult :-)
rhino169 likes this.

Last edited by pluminator; 25 Jul 2012 at 01:08 am.