Looking for Opinion on Winter Driving

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By VNT
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jul 2012, 05:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Looking for Opinion on Winter Driving

Evening all. It was bound to happen, my wife has fallen in love with the PT and drives it daily. She asked how it would do in the snow. I don't have a definitive answer because I've not owned this one that long, nor have I driven a PT in snow. However I told her who would know, so I'm asking the long time owners who live where it snows to give me your opinion please.

She drives an 2011 Focus with traction control, but had trouble with it getting up the drive where she works. It has quite an incline. I would guess it to be 30 degrees or more.

The PT has traction control.

Thanks,
Ron

p.s. Can't believe I have to ask a snow question in July.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 26 Jul 2012, 05:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Looking for Opinion on Winter Driving

Get a set of aftermarket rims and some snow tires and the car is a beast in the snow.

If you have crap all season tires, well good luck!

I just bough a set of MB motoring alloys and hancook snow tires for my 06, will be the first time I have driven a convertible in the winter, should be interesting.

My 03 GT has been flawless in the winter but I put snows tire on it so the wife wouldnt get stuck. Goes nice in the snow, tracks nice and straight.

Up here in Maine we have all the idiots with Subarus, think their invincible in the snow, I mean they have symetrical AWD or what ever crap they bloviate. As my friend who owns a body shop says, from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip and into the ditch LOL, same story, repairs more subys than any other 4wd AWD.

Anyhow put a set of snows on and your good to go!
Badglas likes this.

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 26 Jul 2012, 07:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Get you some steels and if there allowed were you live some studded snow tires. The only that can stop you is deep snow and other people in your way.
Badglas likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Jul 2012, 07:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Get you some steels and if there allowed were you live some studded snow tires. The only that can stop you is deep snow and other people in your way.
They outlawed studded tires here when I was a kid. The last decade we really haven't seen much snow, but it doesn't take much to make this driveway treacherous. I'm betting I'd have to order snow tires. I haven't seen them in years.

Thanks to you and VNT for the info.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical Minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a Turd by the clean end". (R.J. Wiedemann Lt.Col. USMC Ret)
Old 26 Jul 2012, 07:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Best getting some if you not getting traction. If your not getting it with the other one, you will have similar problems with the cruiser.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Jul 2012, 07:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Here is my advice, go to discount tires direct.

They have great prices. I got lucky, they had a sale with, buy 4 wheels get 100$ back and buy 4 tires get another 100 bucks. Free shipping and no sales tax.

if you buy as a package, they can mount them and balance

I got 4 MB Motoring 5-100 17x7 machined alloys for 75$ a piece after the rebate with Hancook I cept EVO 205/50 winter tires for 90$ a piece mounted. It was another 40 for Road force balance and 4$ for 4 chrome stems and 20$ for new chrome lugs with lug lock. So I got out it for 725$. it was 925 and got two 100 dollar cards.

SEE PIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badglas View Post
They outlawed studded tires here when I was a kid. The last decade we really haven't seen much snow, but it doesn't take much to make this driveway treacherous. I'm betting I'd have to order snow tires. I haven't seen them in years.

Thanks to you and VNT for the info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05PTShadow 015.jpg (83.1 KB, 9 views)

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue