PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
help please! bubbling sound when I turn car off and.....

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2013, 08:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: help please! bubbling sound when I turn car off and.....

One thing at a time.....Replace cap,add coolant,bleed system,then check fan operation.......Also,being a PT owner,you are aware that HOAT is the recommended coolant;You can use regualr,but the system needs to be properly flushed well first. See here for more info: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...nt-thread.html

Last edited by randyincctx; 22 Aug 2013 at 09:04 pm. Reason: Addl. Info.
Old 24 Aug 2013, 09:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: help please! bubbling sound when I turn car off and.....

Okay I replaced the cap , added coolant and bled the system.I used coolant from a local autoparts store usually I use coolant from the dealership is that the correct one? when I bled the thermostat was at the halfway mark but I haven't driven it yet. Its running differently already not as rough. I will see after I take it for a drive.
Old 24 Aug 2013, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Bleeding the air contrary to the first advise to do is really only for when you do head area work or drain the coolant. It is nearly impossible in a full operating coolant system to suddenly get steam pockets. Air is always present in a system that has water H20. H2O means two atoms of hydrogen combine with one atom of oxygen.

The gurgling sound is your system not being completely sealed. This could also cause the coolant to raise in temperature and lower the boiling point of the water in the coolant mix.

In other words you have a leak and need to find it. I changed at least a dozen radiator caps and a few thermostat housings on various vehicle last year 3 of which were PT Cruisers. If you carefully wiggle while the system is hot the radiator cap back and forth it should not leak air or coolant.

You may need to go to a service station and have them pressure test your coolant system.

Any HOAT available coolant will work in a PT Cruiser.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Aug 2013, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had a real small leak on the thermostat housing, there's a O ring that went bad. It's located just below the radiator cap, there was some white residue from the antifreeze. Mine use to bubble before too I also changed cap.
Old 24 Aug 2013, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you. I do know I have a leak somewhere because of the white residue. I drove it about 25miles today and it didn't over heat or bubble when i turned the car off. prior to replacing the cap adding coolant and doing the bleed I couldn't even go 1 mile with out it heating to the line before the last red line if that makes sense sorry im trying lol. Its still running rough and I will have it tested as you said because I know its not 100% fixed. It runs okay with out the a/c on but with it on there's a lot of vibration and sounds very loud.

I will check the thermostat housing first and see if the O ring is bad before I take it in less money they will charge I'm assuming thanks guys
Old 24 Aug 2013, 05:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It really sounds like you are solving two completely different issue? Idle condition and cooling system. IMO Solve one at a time.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 Aug 2013, 05:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oohh ok I assumed it was associated idk. Thnks
Old 01 Sep 2013, 10:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: help please! bubbling sound when I turn car off and.....

Can anyone tell me the best place to purchase/order a radiator thank you (:
Old 01 Sep 2013, 10:59 pm
Banned

China

QUOTE=mercy23;490496]Can anyone tell me the best place to purchase/order a radiator thank you (:[/QUOTE]
Old 01 Sep 2013, 11:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy23 View Post
06 pt cruiser 120k miles.

My car is bubbling when I turn it off. It also runs hard as soon as I start it up when the a/c is on it gets even worse.it has overheated twice I can smell anti freeze and have found some near the radiator. I'm assuming it has a minor leak somewhere because I can see it in there and its not steadily dripping the reservoir still has coolant in to. I took it to a shop spent $400 he was supposed to replace the thermostat, tune up, radiator flush and replace spark plugs well needless to say this is the condition my car is in after they "fixed it" my coolant was completely empty also when I got it back. How can I check if the thermostat was replaced?

I'm no mechanic and I dont know that much about cars just fyi
It could be a bad thermostat, but you said they replaced it. Well I am hoping that they did not and it can be done. Otherwise the only other option is that the head gasket could be leaking near the piston ring and gas is leaking past the gasket pushing the antifreeze out of the reservoir. Had that happen to my 87' Shadow ES, they should have run a coolant pressure test to find the leak. It would show if the system had a leak, hope this helps.