drowning in oil

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2014, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: drowning in oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Fixer; when you drained out the 4 qts, did you use the oil pan plug? There could be a gallon of antifreeze hiding under the oil causing the high oil level?

The rings are probably OK.
Anything that goes into crankcase that is fluid will drain through the appropriate drain plugs. If you did have antifreeze or water after draining most of the remaining will vaporize out the PCV system with normal driving.

You do not know the condition of the piston rings or cylinder walls afters this kind of circumstance so do not be surprised if you now have lower then normal compression. Not always but don't rule it out.

I have had my share of re-starting completely submerged boats in my time. Including my own Flat Bottom that I had to dive to the bottom of lake to attach a recovery rope and pull it from the bottom. Drained the fuel tanks, engine oil,removed the spark plug spun the engine to clear it, re-installed all the fluids and spark plugs and she fired right up.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 11 Feb 2014 at 11:46 am.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 11:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Cruserdad Not if it couldn't run.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 11 Feb 2014 at 11:47 am.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 11:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
but wouldnt the oil be a milky color and smell really funky???
Water in motor oil mixed gasoline will turn milky white even sitting in an open pan, can't remember the smell...I am not into smelling things that look bad!
mityqwik likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 29 Nov 2014, 03:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Is 5/20 Oil Okay?

I have always used 5/30 oil in my two PTs but recently someone I know that has an '06 PT said he changed to the newer 5/20 energy saving oil and he says it does just fine in his car under all conditions. He recommended that I switch, too. My concern is that I want to hear from somebody else that has done this before I actually switch. Anyone?
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 29 Nov 2014, 03:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Is 5/20 Oil Okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
I have always used 5/30 oil in my two PTs but recently someone I know that has an '06 PT said he changed to the newer 5/20 energy saving oil and he says it does just fine in his car under all conditions. He recommended that I switch, too. My concern is that I want to hear from somebody else that has done this before I actually switch. Anyone?
There really is no real benefit that you would notice unless you kept detailed records of your MPG, oil changes and a couple of oil analysis over the years etc. to then compare over a couple of oil changes and records if you do change your oil viscosity index, but looking where you live there is no reason if you wanted to change your couldn't without concern!

PRESCOTT, ARIZONA - Climate Summary
PRESCOTT, ARIZONA

Period of Record Monthly Climate Summary

Period of Record : 5/ 1/1898 to 12/31/2005

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
Average Max. Temperature (F) 50.7 54.0 59.1 66.8 75.4 85.7 89.0 86.0 81.8 72.0 60.4 51.8 69.4
Average Min. Temperature (F) 21.3 24.1 28.4 34.1 40.7 49.0 57.4 56.0 48.5 37.2 27.4 21.9 37.2
Average Total Precipitation (in.) 1.74 1.86 1.74 0.95 0.48 0.40 2.90 3.27 1.71 1.11 1.26 1.63 19.04
Average Total SnowFall (in.) 6.1 4.9 5.1 1.3 0.2 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.2 2.1 4.7 24.6
Average Snow Depth (in.) 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Percent of possible observations for period of record.
Max. Temp.: 97.1% Min. Temp.: 96.7% Precipitation: 98.1% Snowfall: 97.5% Snow Depth: 94.5%
Check Station Metadata or Metadata graphics for more detail about data completeness.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 29 Nov 2014 at 03:41 pm.
Old 29 Nov 2014, 04:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oil viscosities and temperature ranges are "against" your idea. Warmer temperatures should have higher viscosities because oil thins out at higher temperatures.
Your mileage improvement would not be measurable.
The fact someone else did it is not much of a recommendation.
If you were in Alaska, I'd say go for it...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Tags
oil, tech, wont start