PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
front turn signal bulb only half working

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 2016, 05:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: front turn signal bulb only half working

Resolved: it was missing a ground. According to tests of the left side, both the middle white & black are grounds. Only the right tested as a ground on the right side. I ran a jumper ground to the black wire & functions were normal. So I cut the black wire, spliced a new wire and ran it up to a ground bolt near the top of the fender in the engine compartment. Here's what the harness with the issue looks like:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][URL=http://s1031.photobucket.com/user/falconut/media/PT%20Cruiser/20160822_180451_zpscsndn0cn.jpg.html]
Not perfect, but fixed the issue. What a pain in the button. Thanks everybody for the help.
Old 22 Aug 2016, 06:14 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
Resolved: it was missing a ground. According to tests of the left side, both the middle white & black are grounds. Only the right tested as a ground on the right side. I ran a jumper ground to the black wire & functions were normal. So I cut the black wire, spliced a new wire and ran it up to a ground bolt near the top of the fender in the engine compartment.

Not perfect, but fixed the issue. What a pain in the button. Thanks everybody for the help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Sounds like a bad ground connection to me. BUT, as I've stated before, I'm NOT a mechanic.
chuzz, you won another prize!

VsandFords and Gkon like this.

Last edited by rckstein; 23 Aug 2016 at 09:20 pm.
Old 22 Aug 2016, 08:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
Resolved: it was missing a ground. According to tests of the left side, both the middle white & black are grounds. Only the right tested as a ground on the right side. I ran a jumper ground to the black wire & functions were normal. So I cut the black wire, spliced a new wire and ran it up to a ground bolt near the top of the fender in the engine compartment. Here's what the harness with the issue looks like:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][URL=http://s1031.photobucket.com/user/falconut/media/PT%20Cruiser/20160822_180451_zpscsndn0cn.jpg.html]
Your posting the solution is appreciated and may help someone else.
rckstein likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Aug 2016, 09:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

I usually try to complete my threads, it drives me crazy when I think I found something, only to find the thread just dies. Hopefully it helps somebody else, too.
Old 22 Aug 2016, 09:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
chuzz, you won nother prize!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Check the wiring going to the sockets.

i have not had this problem but this member posted that every bulb has a "return" wire which in his case is black. One way or the other the return wire of the blinker was disconnected.l[/url]
Hmmm I posted on Post #2 to check the wires but apparently this is not recognized unless I specify whether it was the power or ground wire?
Old 22 Aug 2016, 10:07 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Hmmm I posted on Post #2 to check the wires but apparently this is not recognized unless I specify whether it was the power or ground wire?
I thought of that after I had already given the prize to chuzz, and then went back and re-read your post, because I guess he summarized your post and put it more simply what the cause may be. So while chuzz got a pink plastic doll, you can have a Golden Bhudda award!

ptcruisersteve and Gkon like this.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 06:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm happy to hear you got it fixed. Persistence pays off! And thanks for letting us know what it was. As far as the cupie doll and golden buddah go, you can have them both, Steve. You're a mechanic and I'm not, so as a non-mechanic, I was just guessing at what the problem was.
rckstein likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Oct 2020, 10:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

This post and followup discussions are exactly why these forums are valuable. I suffered the same issue, fast blink on right front and with running lights on the right front blink went away. Tried battery terminal removal to no effect, tried splicing a ground to the black and the problem is resolved. Thank you all.
Old 12 Jan 2022, 06:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the exact same problem. Traced the ground to a bunch of ground wires screwed in to the inner right fender. Easy fix would be to remove the connection, clean the wires and reattach. Just one problem, you can't get to the d**n thing with out removing the A/C hoses. Ended up splicing in to the headlight ground. Fixed!
soonercruiser likes this.

Last edited by LEKtrnx; 12 Jan 2022 at 06:19 pm. Reason: Spelling