Advertisements
2006 Pt Cruiser wont start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Oct 2016, 12:14 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Pt Cruiser wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBDrizzt View Post
My sister's fiancÚ tried a trick with battery and connecting it to a sparkplug. There was no spark. Could it be the crankshaft sensor? Is it easy to change?
I had a problem like that last year, but it turned out to be a short in the PCM that I had to have repaired (cheaper than than a replacement)

Now last week the camshaft sensor in my wife's PT died and the car would crank but not start, so it could be your camshaft sensor itself. You took yours off to look at the shaft, but did you test the sensor or put a different one on to see what would happen? Just a thought.

Last edited by Renegade; 04 Oct 2016 at 12:16 am.
Old 04 Oct 2016, 12:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you check to see if you have 12 volts going to the coil. The center coil wire is the positive feed from the ASD circuit.
The other two wires are grounded by the PCM as needed for spark- It's 'wasted spark' system so that is why there is only two ground wires.

IF cam and crank are far enough out of synch, PCM won't turn on ASD. This is why it's important to find out if you have 12 volts going to the coil.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Oct 2016 at 12:25 am.
Old 05 Oct 2016, 06:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Any hints on an easy way to remove crank outta housing?
Old 05 Oct 2016, 08:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok... new battery, new cam sensor, new crank sensor, new spark plugs, don't know if I'm getting 12 volts to plugs (don't know how to test for that), fuel pump works, still doesn't start. Any other ideas? I really do appreciate everyone's input thus far.
Old 06 Oct 2016, 03:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

There is more than 12V going to a plug. There is tons, unplug the wire, but leave it near the plug, try to crank. If you hear the snapping of the voltage jumping then your good. Test the fuel injectors, easy way is to pull one out and don't have your mouth open when you crank, easier way is to test the voltage at the connector and see what you have when cranking.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 06 Oct 2016, 03:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
There is more than 12V going to a plug. There is tons, unplug the wire, but leave it near the plug, try to crank. If you hear the snapping of the voltage jumping then your good. Test the fuel injectors, easy way is to pull one out and don't have your mouth open when you crank, easier way is to test the voltage at the connector and see what you have when cranking.
Easy to burn out the ignition coil if the spark plug wire accidently gets close to a grounded surface. Better to use an ignition spark checker.

Harbor Freight has it for a very reasonable price.
90░ Inline Ignition Spark Checker
Old 08 Oct 2016, 05:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok. Car starts! But on a test drive, it putters...
I don't think it happened when the car was shifting. It's like limp mode. Any suggestions?
Old 08 Oct 2016, 06:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Ok. Car starts! But on a test drive, it putters...
I don't think it happened when the car was shifting. It's like limp mode. Any suggestions?
How did you get it to start?
Old 09 Oct 2016, 07:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I honestly don't know. I gave up on it for the night, then the next day, for shiggles, I tried and it started. However, when I took it to go get codes, just in case, it putters and stalled.

Now, with new spark plugs, plug wires, coil sensor, battery, cam sensor, crank shaft sensor, good alternator, now I'm not getting spark. I have 14 volts going in. Feul pump works. Cam shaft spins. I'm at a loss. I got an error code for barometric pressure too low. I didn't know that pt's were weathermen-lol. Any other ideas?
Old 09 Oct 2016, 07:41 pm
Banned

Quote:
I honestly don't know. I gave up on it for the night, then the next day, for shiggles, I tried and it started. However, when I took it to go get codes, just in case, it putters and stalled.

Now, with new spark plugs, plug wires, coil sensor, battery, cam sensor, crank shaft sensor, good alternator, now I'm not getting spark. I have 14 volts going in. Feul pump works. Cam shaft spins. I'm at a loss. I got an error code for barometric pressure too low. I didn't know that pt's were weathermen-lol. Any other ideas?
Are you sure the cam sensor and coil pack connectors are correct? Many have gotten them switched.

Tags
2006 pt cruiser, not starting