Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What did you do to your PT today?

Like Tree4001Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Sep 2021, 08:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

I've been trouble shooting a little rattle on the passenger side front end, going over bumps.
Sometimes aggravated by turning the wheel.

Took her to may fav dealer 45 minutes away last month, and they could find nothing in suspension, etc. Tranny engine mount was done about 2 years ago with, of course, different symptoms.

So started tinkering around myself a couple of months ago, looked with a small mirror, and found the upper motor mount/torque strut to be about totally disintegrated. Replace it myself, no change in rattle.

So today I jacked her up and took off the passenger front wheel, inspecting all the suspension parts and brakes....as I had even replaced the front struts myself with mild lowering springs this past winter.
In taking off the plastic shroud over the belts, I inspected the lower mount, and popped the cover and looked at the front engine mount.
NO CUSHION RUBBER LEFT! Center pretty must resting on metal below. RUSTY BOLT and around it! Must be the original mount now that I am approaching 140K.

That one will definitely be a PITA to work on, so I will drop her off at the local dealer tomorrow, after I pick up the part at O'Relleys. The dealer would have had to order the part from Michigan.

**But, while I was in the front wheel well anyway, I went ahead and replaced the lower engine mount so everything will be fresh. Bought the lower mount at Autozone.

If I wasn't in a little rush, I would probably have ordered the parts from Rock Auto. But, once I have something apart, it bugs me to just let it sit there waiting on parts to come. Plus, I have to beg the wiffie for her car to play golf. Also when I can I am close enough that I can even get parts from Summit Racing almost overnight.
Coppertop and imickey503 like this.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 09 Sep 2021, 07:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hit 200,000 on the way in to work!

Next big milestone is 238,900 (From the earth to the moon!)
Old 09 Sep 2021, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Panel PT has been at the local dealer for a week now.
Sure, it was over Labor Day Weekend, and they had to order parts...FROM CHRYSLER???

It wasn't because of the main engine mount that I gave up on doing myself.
Just as I dropped it off, I developed a slow coolant leak that ran down the back of the engine.
Turns out it was one of the turbo coolant lines. They had to order it.
Maybe tomorrow. "There is always Tomorrow"!

Old 12 Sep 2021, 06:40 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to imickey503 Send a message via Yahoo to imickey503

I have DONE a TON since I last posted.

So lets post some Picks.

I did the lower engine mount.
GOt it for $10 bcuks! But price back up to 20 Depresion bucks!
[IMG]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61UYR9pn+HL._AC_SL1500_.jpg[/IMG]
I tried to make my Own Bushing inserts for fun. NOT EVEN EPOXY worked with my idea. I was thinking about some Metal covers over it. But... Um.. No...

So everyone can Bask in my Failure,

Last time I used Liquied Nails on my Minivan. WORKED GREAT on the Front mount! After about a 2 weeks of Drying, it worked OKAY! You don't want to know the Mix I used. I just kept Putting ANY kind of GLUE that worked!

SO... TO say the LEast. Roofing Calk THe Black stuff, Does not actully DRY...
Even if you Mix it with Epocy, Superglue, and Baking soda. It worked for about... A Week..
Now it looks like It PUCKED Black TAR!

So.. Seeing that the DUde in oregon makes those wonderful Engine Mount Insert bushings? I'm Ordering a Pair.

Might as well Show you the AFtermath..
(Insert Photo of my FUBAR HERE)

So, Ordering those right after this post.

I replaced my Front Lower engine mount about a month ago. ANd Yea, BOY it was GONE. But My trick with the Liguid nails worked for about 10 years, so not bad. GOt it from Amazon for about $10 bucks to my door.

Also order the Top engine mount about a 9 months ago, So Going to do the insert in that when I get it.

Next is the cooling system. DId that about 3 months ago. Worked great. Put in a Brand new Rad.

THen Went to the Junkyard to get ALL the Bolts I lost or were missing.

Actually I got a TON of parts I still need to install. I'm winterizing the car now.

I also got some New tires. Some Goodyears from Walmart I picked up for less then $41 dollars per tire plus some tax.. They were on CLearence. I had to go to TWO walmarts to get the deal, but SO worth it.

BIG THANKS TO VANCOUVER, Wa. 205 WALMART AUTO SHOP!
YOU GUYS ROCK!

I got the 2 front mounted.

I bought an alignment kit about a Year ago, so I need to install that then get a REAL alignment done. AFTER I REPLACE ALL THE FRONT END PARTS.

I'm also ordering the Front A arms, and basically a whole front end kit with the new solid bushings again from Amazon. Price is about $109 bucks.

I'm also going to replace the Power steering resirovr holder. I took out the old one and its welded to the Bracket. So Just going to take the bracket, and take of the METAL one, and then install the cheap plastic one in place. I know I could take the TOP part off, and I might still and clean the screen inside? But I like being able to see a CLEAR look into the fluid. It would also look cool with some LED's glowing on the bottom.

I replaced my TOP water hose, but it sure seems to EXPAND quite a Bit. I'm going to try to see if I can get some Silicone hoses.

Next is the FUEL line. THe Plastic Fantasitc one Broke. So, ordered a Kit, and made my own custom line. It Was EASY! I still want to get a Metal /Teflon/ Braided line in the future.

I chedk the brakes the other day as the right one was squeaking. It seems to me the wheel bearing is either lose, or it needs to be replaced on the passenger side. Lots of PT's with New ones at the Junkyards. (SAD I see so many Convertiable models in PERFECT CONDTION. DAMN! I WANT ONE FOR $350 bucks! LOL!

So it seems that the front passenger wheel has some Play in it. SO since I'm going to be replacing it, Might as well order the whole Kit and Kaboodle!

THe Shocks seem to still be okay, so will leave those in there. If I run across soem Air Bag style shocks in the future? I will throw them in. But so far, no luck finding some good used deals. I did find a Van with Air Ride and Pump, but... I think I will wait till the future.

I also replaced my Front Center Console/Vents etc with a DARKER version since I broke the vents with those STUPID Clip on phone mounts.

GOT THESE:
[IMG]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51IvmD-742L._AC_SX466_.jpg[/IMG] (Also Of New CONSOLE)
SOOO
MUCCHHHH
BEEETTTEEERR!!!!

I also Picked up some misc Interior bits that were missing, and replaced them on the Seat Belt height adjusters.

I also ordered the BOOGER Bushings shift kit. THe Plastic one I installed just a year ago is ALREADY POOPED! (Booger should make a Garbage Pail Kids edition of bushings!

BEST PART:

I ordered all these:
DOOR warnign lights: (BTW, I was the FIRST to make these a WAY long time ago with LED strips )

Also the RGB ones. Not sure if I want these on the rear doors, but I got them just in case. I think the truck area would look cool with these.

I also Have this REAR truck Kit. It is a 5 way unit. I'm going to the Junkyard and getting the parts to make my own Plug and Play wire harness. I'm not messing around with the stupid Fast Connectors. Just like in my Minivan, there has to be something you just plug into the main harness, to get tow lights, and I use that for the signalls for my strip.

I got it from Alibaba or Ebay. One of the two.

I did some Mods to it. I took the control box and made it AMERICAN MADE!
That means, I sealed it from moisture and made it so the more then just the wire were held on by solder. So Glued the unit, and now its Bullet proof!

I have started on making the connector for it so its as simple as plug and play.
After I figure it out? I will see if I can make some for others who want it. Love to give back to the community here! So much stuff is CUSTOM EVERYTHING. This needs to end man! LOL! Not everyone is an electrician!

Same thing with the Door Opening Lights. I have to find an EASY way to do this. And I think I have a good idea. Will fill you in with a post abou tit later or video.

UPDATE:
Um... Life Happened. SO will finish post and pics later Man I had some good ones, but now its almost 5am. TTYL DUDES!
worst car I have ever owned from a reliability standpoint.
Canadian spec car imported to the states.
Wish I could just rewire everything and use a Minivans ROCK SOLID electrical system in this car.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 01:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

When you replaced the crappy plastic fuel line did you keep the pulsation damper (that little gizmo located at the firewall where the plastic line attaches) ?
Old 16 Sep 2021, 07:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Took a golf buddy with a red 2001 to 2 junk yards today.
"Show and Tell"! He had NEVER been to a salvage yard.

He had his driver's side sun visor light go out for the second time since he owned his PT.
The first time it went out, a dealer told him it could not be fixed, and sold him a new one for $125.
This time, I tried taking the visor apart to fuse-in an LED bulb. But, either the harness of the little open-button switch was bad; as no power was still getting through to the bulb.

Saw plenty of Crusiers at our 2 largest salvage yards.
Scored two lighted visors that match his interior.
(Yes! I brought a battery along to test them!)

While we at it, I picked up another Gen 1 center dash bezel and window switch too.
Hello! Curious about the great finds from the salvage yard... living in Florida I'm always concerned that plastic parts in a yard will be as brittle as the ones I'd be replacing. Is that an issue in more humane climates?
Thanks.
Old 17 Sep 2021, 08:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
I've been trouble shooting a little rattle on the passenger side front end, going over bumps.
Sometimes aggravated by turning the wheel.

Took her to may fav dealer 45 minutes away last month, and they could find nothing in suspension, etc. Tranny engine mount was done about 2 years ago with, of course, different symptoms.

So started tinkering around myself a couple of months ago, looked with a small mirror, and found the upper motor mount/torque strut to be about totally disintegrated. Replace it myself, no change in rattle.

So today I jacked her up and took off the passenger front wheel, inspecting all the suspension parts and brakes....as I had even replaced the front struts myself with mild lowering springs this past winter.
In taking off the plastic shroud over the belts, I inspected the lower mount, and popped the cover and looked at the front engine mount.
NO CUSHION RUBBER LEFT! Center pretty must resting on metal below. RUSTY BOLT and around it! Must be the original mount now that I am approaching 140K.

That one will definitely be a PITA to work on, so I will drop her off at the local dealer tomorrow, after I pick up the part at O'Relleys. The dealer would have had to order the part from Michigan.

**But, while I was in the front wheel well anyway, I went ahead and replaced the lower engine mount so everything will be fresh. Bought the lower mount at Autozone.

If I wasn't in a little rush, I would probably have ordered the parts from Rock Auto. But, once I have something apart, it bugs me to just let it sit there waiting on parts to come. Plus, I have to beg the wiffie for her car to play golf. Also when I can I am close enough that I can even get parts from Summit Racing almost overnight.
SAD and GOOD UPdate!

At one day short of 2 weeks, I got the panel PT back from the local dealer.
Total was $1,900 to replace the main engine mount and the coolant line to the turbo.....that was the coolant leak I had.

***BOOM.....almost!

So, I drive home down the expressway, and hiot the boost a time or two in traffic like I always do.
SUDDENLY, THE STRONG SMELL OF OIL, and there are no trucks or diesels around me!
THEN SMOKE POURS OUT FROM THE BACK OF THE COWL HOOD!!!!

I call them, and tell them I'm coming back
They suggested a tow back. But, I took the chance to stay around idle speed a 1,200 rpm
First thing comes in my mind is, the technician that had "all kinds of trouble getting the coolant line in" (they said), had boogered up the oil line to the turbo in the process.

Sure enough, after looking at it early enough in the day to order part, it was the oil return line from the turbo!
They got it in the next day this time, and I got her back after a 2 weeks and 2 days.

But, SO FAR, SO GOOD!
The only smell I get is the burn off of whatever solvent they sprayed around the area to get rid of the engine oil slick.

NEVER MORE THIS DEALER!
I will tow her to my fav dealer 40 miles away.

Old 17 Sep 2021, 11:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Coppertop

Had to get a few things replaced this summer on my PT:

1. Problem shifting (manual transmission)when the outside temperature over 90° had to have master/slave cylinder replaced

2. Engine stalls randomly while driving, needed a new fuel pump

3. Noticed a leak under the front end, had left front axel and seal replaced.

I ride a motorcycle during the summer to give my Cruiser a break but once the weather cools she’s my daily driver.
PGBCruiser likes this.
Added fog lights and cruiser control; PTeazer Roadster Grill -Ace of Clubs; goddess hood ornament; Spartan Model-A Oogah horn; split rear window; rocket tail lights; chrome smoothie rims and white wall tires.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/317371...photo-gallery/
Old 18 Sep 2021, 08:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGBCruiser View Post
Hello! Curious about the great finds from the salvage yard... living in Florida I'm always concerned that plastic parts in a yard will be as brittle as the ones I'd be replacing. Is that an issue in more humane climates?
Thanks.
If the PT had been garage kept then no problem. If it lived outside in the sunshine look for faded but not cracked interior and fogged headlamps.

The big problem around here is rust. On a PT look for rust in the rockers, wheel well edges, rear wheel well under the "vents".
Old 18 Sep 2021, 01:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGBCruiser View Post
Thanks.
So far, I have had great luck!
The cars I see are up on old rims, off of the ground.
Depending on the direction the car sits, if the parts are protected from the sun, heat and humidity should not be a big factor. (Of course that does not apply to cloth and leather.)
It can't get much warmer in the summer than it is her in Central Okieland.

Center bezels, for instance, be sure to pop them off hard and inspect before keeping.
If it doesn't break during an aggressive pull off, it should be fine.
And, the $5-10, with no shipping is a bargain.

**Note: If you need 1 plastic part - get 2!
PGBCruiser likes this.

Tags
air filter