Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What did you do to your PT today?

Like Tree4056Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2021, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What did you do to your PT today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed9msi View Post
What did you use for this?

They were just slightly yellow and scuffed up.
So, I taped around to protect the paint; wet sanded 320-600-1000; washed well and drove about five miles at 70mph+ to dry!
Then clearcoat with UV protectant.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 17 Dec 2021, 02:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
They were just slightly yellow and scuffed up.
So, I taped around to protect the paint; wet sanded 320-600-1000; washed well and drove about five miles at 70mph+ to dry!
Then clearcoat with UV protectant.
Cool so it's enough to finish with 1000 grid!? I thought smaller grain was needed and final polishing so this is good news. Thanks!
Old 17 Dec 2021, 06:14 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to imickey503 Send a message via Yahoo to imickey503

LOOOOOOOOONNNNGGGGG DAY.
But all is good again.
Sorry, been really busy with stuff.

So Today Let me show you why I am an example of what NOT to do for others.

It all started about 3 days ago when my power steering pump was making noise. Seems that my Plastic resiovor I installed had its screen gunk up again.
Cool. I had a Plan!

I Ordered These Items from Amazon
$3.95 for the 3/8th WIX filter.
[IMG]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/31cCisoRniL._AC_.jpg[/IMG]

A Dorman Power steering Reservoir.
$15.58
[IMG]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81pELjZExvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg[/IMG]

And I got to installing the stuff today. Put on the Filter on the High presure side, (The Small Line that is 3/8ths diameter.

Took out the old one, and did my best not to get the power steering fluid anywhere. But alas.. No dice. I still spilled some.

Installed the new stuff, and poured in some 2 cycle oil in there to LUBE the system as the oil is some REALLY good stuff. It also gets everywhere and cleans out whatever you got in the system. All of it was caught in the filter and after I ran it for about 2 days prior.

After I let it run for a bit, I took off the WIX filter, and just installed the power steering reservoir on its own and this is where my problems came.

I DID THE ONE STUPID THING YOU SHOULD NEVER DO.
I LET WATER GET INTO THE PLUG HOLES IN THE CYLINDER HEAD...
OOOOFFFF!!!

And there went my day.
So, TOOK the WHOLE DAMN Top of the engine apart, and got to work.
I still forgot to install some things like my NEW o2 sensor, and and also the bolt for the alternator, but I will get to it tomorrow or this weekend.
MAYBE...

I also sprayed down all the bolts in the back because I'm getting ready to take out the O2 sensor so I put some WD-40 on it and I'm basically right now basically burning off all the oil and all the other stuff from the job I did today.
Its 2:37 AM.
MOST of the stuff is burned off.

I also put in a new STOCK 212 thermostat. Also installed my Low speed Fan relay that seems to work. Not sure. But so far everything is good.

It was 38' Slight fog. Bit the CAR is running NICE and TOASTY!

I For the thermostat? I used Teflon tape on the bolt inboard to the engine, and used a bolt with a nut on the outboard of the engine as the threads are striped. I have an extra housing, but meh, this works.

SO far it looks like there are ZERO LEAKS! WHOO HOO!
I topped it up with antifreeze, and the temps are staying perfect. THe NEEDLE is RIGHT where it needs to be. Wonderful!

But it took me about 8 hours to get it all done. I got my compressor out and blew out ALL the water out of cylinder 1. THERE WAS LOTS OF WATER IN THERE> It was enough that it Miss-fired so bad, it came out of the Air filter.
Hence, why I did all this work today. All because, I WASHED DOWN THE ENGINE AND GOT WATER IN THE PLUG VALLEY. DRats!

I also noticed that some of my plugs were not in great condition. So I replaced one of them. Later on, I need to order plug wires and new OEM plugs and get them all replaced with new matching set.

The engine is running smooth as butter.

I also fixed a Kink in my replacement fuel line. And took care of some hoses and did some Heat shielding of the wires.

I have had a LOT of Taco Bell as of late, and the Metal foil wrapping of the grilled cheese burrito and some zip ties did a really good job doing some heat insulation on the wires on the back of the engine where I believe the pressure sensor is.

I also lubed up some joints under the hood and some other things.

I also want to tell you that I am going to be making some NEW design of the wobble bits. THE DAMN THING BIT ME!

My RING finger got caught in the cam in the wobble bit. And it BLED for a LONG time. Thankfully, it does not hurt that bad as it was on the bottom of my finger so I can still type and do stuff thankfully.

I did have to put on a glove and then some Tissue to catch the blood. Its a Bit swollen now, but after about 4 hours it stopped.

I topped of the coolant, I topped of the Power steering fluid with the Big gallon I had bought and everything seems to be fine so far.

I have been idling for about 45 min, and so far I don't see any leaks, or any drips from anything and that is a welcome to relief.

I also did a Clean up of the car mats with the air compressor, and got a lot of dust out of the cabin.

I did a BUNCH of other things as well over the month, but that's for another day.

Car is washed at the car wash earlier today as it's been pretty dry and I'm really happy my car's clean everything's working and no more power steering noise so far.

I would have got done sooner but I got home today and realized I really wanted to put up some of these meteor shower lights and I finally got that done as well.

Really glad I got the meteor Lights up today. GOt my ladder out and relized I need to order another 10 sets to make the look perfect. All of them are USB powered.

Got them for about $10 bucks. BOY are the BRIGHT!

I put about 3 of them on a line as they can be hooked up in series. (parallel actually) without to much loss in brightness, but I still measured about 3.7v ~3.2volts instead of 5v with just 3 of them. So if you want to get MAX brightness, use one USB power plug per string. Still. MASSIVELY BRIGHT!

Whew.. LONG day. And lots more to do. Shocks, bushings etc.
Now for some Coffee and something cold and then bed time.
AND.. Here comes the firetrucks. Wonder what happned?

Never a dull moment in Portland Oregon.

NOTE TO SELF. STOP WASHING MY ENGINE BAY! LOL!

Short Video:
worst car I have ever owned from a reliability standpoint.
Canadian spec car imported to the states.
Wish I could just rewire everything and use a Minivans ROCK SOLID electrical system in this car.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 08:48 am
Young Cruiser

Oh crap....
all that work and this is the problem.... looks like a power steering hose I wonder which one it is?
I'm going to try to figure it out and order it today

rockandroller likes this.
Wish I could just rewire everything and use a Minivans ROCK SOLID electrical system in this car.
Old 17 Dec 2021, 07:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by imickey503 View Post

LOOOOOOOOONNNNGGGGG DAY.
But all is good again.
Sorry, been really busy with stuff.

So Today Let me show you why I am an example of what NOT to do for others.

It all started about 3 days ago when my power steering pump was making noise. Seems that my Plastic resiovor I installed had its screen gunk up again.
Cool. I had a Plan!

I Ordered These Items from Amazon
$3.95 for the 3/8th WIX filter.
[IMG]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/31cCisoRniL._AC_.jpg[/IMG]

A Dorman Power steering Reservoir.
$15.58
[IMG]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81pELjZExvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg[/IMG]

And I got to installing the stuff today. Put on the Filter on the High presure side, (The Small Line that is 3/8ths diameter.

Took out the old one, and did my best not to get the power steering fluid anywhere. But alas.. No dice. I still spilled some.

Installed the new stuff, and poured in some 2 cycle oil in there to LUBE the system as the oil is some REALLY good stuff. It also gets everywhere and cleans out whatever you got in the system. All of it was caught in the filter and after I ran it for about 2 days prior.

After I let it run for a bit, I took off the WIX filter, and just installed the power steering reservoir on its own and this is where my problems came.

I DID THE ONE STUPID THING YOU SHOULD NEVER DO.
I LET WATER GET INTO THE PLUG HOLES IN THE CYLINDER HEAD...
OOOOFFFF!!!

And there went my day.
So, TOOK the WHOLE DAMN Top of the engine apart, and got to work.
I still forgot to install some things like my NEW o2 sensor, and and also the bolt for the alternator, but I will get to it tomorrow or this weekend.
MAYBE...

I also sprayed down all the bolts in the back because I'm getting ready to take out the O2 sensor so I put some WD-40 on it and I'm basically right now basically burning off all the oil and all the other stuff from the job I did today.
Its 2:37 AM.
MOST of the stuff is burned off.

I also put in a new STOCK 212 thermostat. Also installed my Low speed Fan relay that seems to work. Not sure. But so far everything is good.

It was 38' Slight fog. Bit the CAR is running NICE and TOASTY!

I For the thermostat? I used Teflon tape on the bolt inboard to the engine, and used a bolt with a nut on the outboard of the engine as the threads are striped. I have an extra housing, but meh, this works.

SO far it looks like there are ZERO LEAKS! WHOO HOO!
I topped it up with antifreeze, and the temps are staying perfect. THe NEEDLE is RIGHT where it needs to be. Wonderful!

WOW!
And I thought I had a bad day!!

I did the same thing to that bolt (stripped it) when I replaced by thermostat housing this last time.
With the other tightened well, I had no leaks either.
But, on my next trip to the dealer they had a fix tool that tapped the hole and fixed it.
Can't remember the name of the tool.

My bad day was, my first trip to my fav dealer for an oil change and coolant flush in my new Vert.
40 miles, and on my way back home, the car overheated and steam coming out from under the hood!
Coolant sprayed all over the engine bay; radiator cap was not tightened down properly!

Had to wait an hour for the tow truck, and my Classical radio station was only playing Opera!
Back to the dealer for a redo! So far, it's OK!

Old 21 Dec 2021, 07:35 am
Young Cruiser

Today I went for a short drive to the store. All was okay.
Then? Came back to my PT. The Red Light is flashing. I did not hear the alarm go off.

So. Tried to start my car. It started for a few seconds, and turned itself off.
Then the starter would not engage at all. Plenty of battery power. But it looks like the front battery has a dead cell or two. It won't even HOLD a charge. (I have 2 AGM's in the back, and they are doing fine. )

It seems like its time to finally switch in the lithium battery pack I built.

however the problem is not juice it's actually something to do with the computer it seems as it no longer reports any fault codes.

it seems that the ECU has finally packed it up and it's time to replace it with another, and thankfully, I already ordered a spare for such an occasion!

I was going to try out my key fob but then I forgot that both batteries are dead so I ordered some new ones from Amazon. Installed them, and no dice. Nothing works from the keyfob.

I also ordered the high pressure power steering hose for $22 and it should be here by Wednesday.

I was going to start replacing items today but after the Heavy Rain it started to snow and I decided it would be best if I just let it be. Of course this problem happened as soon as it got dark.

Looks like I'm going to be swapping out my computer because when I try to read the OBD2 codes to check what the fault, reading no fault codes*
Yea, its fugged.

Factory Immobilizer/Alarm light keeps blinking.
Did the following troubleshooting methods:
  • I disconnected the alarm box
  • I tried resetting the IOD fuse
  • I have disconnecting the battery for over 4 hours.
  • I tried to read codes.
  • I used the OEM RFID key and a spare RFID key.
  • I unlocked the trunk,
  • I unlocked the passenger side door.
  • I tried the remote.

Nothing...
when I try to start the car the second time after the engine shuts off after about 2 seconds, the starter refuses to engage, so nothing but silence.

Day after (Post was started yesterday) I started pulling out the plastic Instrument colon/ Dash covers to look at the Tumbler, the connectors etc.
What worked?

I pulled the Sylvania SKIMM Module? (The RFID Key authentication device basically) And LOW AND BEHOLD! The light just went solid RED.
Then.. I knew I was onto something.

after I plugged it in> I was able to start the car I was even able to get some codes from the OBD2 reader I was using.

however now the car will not turn off.
I took her for a drive and after my drive amazingly after a few hours the engine actually shut down with the key.

however the instrument cluster lights are still on including the mileage and the other warning light such as check engine oil and some other stuff.
I also tried to disconnect the part that engages the ignition switch however again it is still staying on and so I believe there's some other kind of fault in the system. however I'm hoping it's also just the e c u.

I put my car on the charger and it's doing fine.
I still don't have Central walking and also the key fob does not work either even after the car now runs or at least starts.
but it's a start...
now the problem is he keeps on running...

I disconnected the ignition switch same thing it doesn't matter it's still on.

I disconnected the battery I reset the IOD fuse and of course same thing the actual instrument cluster will not turn off. regardless of the ignition switch being plugged in or not being plugged in.

so I thought I would push my luck and go for a drive and sure enough I was able to again stop my car by just removing the key so that's good but it only took about a few hours.

I am now able to read the codes again and two codes popped up one for the EGR and another one which is powertrain I forgot which that one was

the fans don't work of course but I'm pretty sure this is nice you problem is it came up before

here's a video of it showcasing what I did I hope this helps out some of you folks in the future who happened to have the same problem and a Phillips screwdriver on hand to get to this.

I have a lot of work ahead of me...
and here's the video showcasing what I did so you can follow it as a tutorial if you're stuck someplace or in a bind hopefully this works for you.

Me? I just wanted Dutch bros. and didn't feel like taking an Uber there.
you can't smoke cigars in a uber show obviously I wasn't going to get my coffee without my cigarettes!
dougs and Royal like this.
Old 17 Jan 2022, 03:50 am
Young Cruiser

I'm pretty sure the only reason why I am not dead yet is my procrastination is a biological inherited trait.

So... At this Moment. I have 2 power steering houses. Another WORLDS FIRST!

I keep saying as soon as it is dry outside I am going to do it. But as soon as it gets dry? I put it off. I Figure... Good ARM WORK OUT!

Was going to hit it today, but a little Munchkin came over. So set up the Projector inside to watch Disneys Tommorowland with George Clooney. She liked it but it was not as Gripping as Frozen. She LOVES that movie. I Figure, I would try a movie I really liked and she really enjoyed it. GOt some snacks, got her something good to drink and then tried to go work on the car hoping my sister would pick her up soon.
Yea. You know how that worked out.

So as I never break a promise, Ice cream at Salt and Straw!

A bit later, we finished that (So by now, its dark...) and then I asked if she wanted a Cheeseburger. OF COURSE! Called my sister, and then she said she wanted a Cheeseburger too.. So.. Of to McMenamins.
Nice place.

The best part about it is that they have this courtyard where kids can run around so of course a great place to go see if we can find Big Foot!
And the food is generally pretty good these days. Why the Shrlie temples have no cherries? I don't know..

So.. Another Bright dry day, and I got NOTHING DONE!.

Its 12:15am right now on a Monday EARLY MORNING. And I of course. The ONLY time I ever have to do things is at night it seems. Its going to be nice to move out to the Sticks and just do things in my own land one day. Far away from everyone.

Anyways...

Poly Bushings Shift kit and its time to put it in.
Power steering system back System. On list for Monday.
Found wire with Broken insulation. Got some Liquid tape.

NEW FAN INSTALLED!

This is what I want to let you know. Their is DENSO.. And their is...NOT Denso.

BUY THE DENSO OEM UNIT. The Denso is LEAPS and BOUNDS better over the Cheap unit. Yes it works, but its fan CFM is LESS then the DENSO and MADE cheaper.
But I got it to work. After..... Well here:

And now the SUNROOF. Its needs a GOOD cleaning of the Tracks. So ? I'm going to see if there are any videos on how to refurbish a WEBASTO Aftermarket Sunroof.

Gosh there is SO much MORE....

Last edited by imickey503; 17 Jan 2022 at 03:55 am.
Old 20 Jan 2022, 12:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Got the heater going in the garage yesterday to clean up and repaint the Morette headlight assemblies I built for the Panel Cruiser.

There were lots of bubbles developing in the paint in the negative curvatures, like the paint wasn't staying attached/lifting. (Prep??)
And there was one big bubble on the driver's side that must have been poorly mixed Urethane.
As I cut into it, it was a soft void, with a hard bottom/inside.

So, before Bondo repairs in that area I drilled two small holes through the bottom, to release any future gasses.

Didn't think I'd be having to do this after just one year.

Last edited by soonercruiser; 20 Jan 2022 at 12:38 am.
Old 26 Jan 2022, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Got the used rear sway bar in the mail a few days ago.
Cleaned it up, lubed, and installed new bushings; installed last evening.
Yup! New bump stops too.

rcktpwrd and ptprice like this.

Old 27 Jan 2022, 03:28 pm
Young Cruiser

Finally got the tires to remain full of air during this cold snap!
394,100 miles as of 1/27/22 '01 PT Cruiser automatic Original (Engine, Transmission, Power Steeering Pump)...3rd Radiator and Fan (with added fan toggle switch mounted inside of car)...3rd Crank Sensor, 2nd Cam Sensor, 3 Timing Belts replaced (1st at 140,000 the 2nd at 345,000 the 3rd at 369,000 due to tensioner fail), 1 Rack and Pinion, 1 water pump at 345,000, 2 alternators - 1 at 345,000 and 1 at 384,000) 4th Watts Link, Serpentine Tensioner at 369,700, New front and rear Brake Calipers at 388,000.

Tags
air filter