Turbo Lite Question

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2018, 09:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Turbo Lite Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
I'm on the west coast, so might take you up on this next year when it's time for my car to get painted. One question: how can I tell whether or not my PCM has already been hot-rodded??

I know it's not the original PCM ( I have service documentation attesting to the fact its been replaced long ago) - and this car really GOES, it seems way more peppy than it ought to be...
I'll be happy to help if and when you would like. I may even be able to give you Stage 1 programming at that time too.

Well, the low tech way, assuming the pcm didn't come from a rebuilder, who tend to paint and relabel their pcms, is to just have a look to see if you can see the part number on the side of it. With the hood open, you can bend down and try to kind of look along the firewall to see the long white sticker on the side of the pcm and read off the part number near the top right corner of the sticker.

If it has a rebuilder unit, or even a Stage 1, you may see the part number on the front face but it be difficult as the wires and mounting bracket can block your view a bit.

The sure way is to connect an OBD2 scanner to it and read the ECU into from it. The really cheap scanners probably can't do it, but the better ones can.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 10:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
Great. There goes my 2nd idea to put HIDs in the PT cuz I thought the CANbus system wasnt installed until 08. Heard the CANbus system fries the multifunction switch. Not an option for me.

Anyways, i was looking online and found GT PCM's for $500. Didnt look at years but 500 isnt too bad for what you get. Guessing the 06 is higher than that? Even so, A trip to our nationals capitol may not be out the picture either. But not until spring of next year as the car will be garage kept as it has no rust.
Yes, for the 2nd Gen pcm, you will likely looking at around $500. I sell them for a bit less than that. However, you can score some deals from time to time on ebay, but they don't last long there.

The 1st Gen PCMs are easier to come by and so the price of them is about half of the 2nd gens.

Anyway, yes, I am in Canada so I was referring to Canada's Capital city, but I do take trips to the Hamilton area from time to time, so we could potentially meet there to save you a few hours of driving.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 10:06 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Yes, for the 2nd Gen pcm, you will likely looking at around $500. I sell them for a bit less than that. However, you can score some deals from time to time on ebay, but they don't last long there.

The 1st Gen PCMs are easier to come by and so the price of them is about half of the 2nd gens.

Anyway, yes, I am in Canada so I was referring to Canada's Capital city, but I do take trips to the Hamilton area from time to time, so we could potentially meet there to save you a few hours of driving.

Well, if/when i buy this PT and want to do that, ill let you know. I may end up shipping it in the end. Before I buy a PCM, ill pm you the link to make sure its one you can work with.
myckee likes this.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 10:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengence View Post
Well, if/when i buy this PT and want to do that, ill let you know. I may end up shipping it in the end. Before I buy a PCM, ill pm you the link to make sure its one you can work with.
Perfect. That sounds good and I will be happy to help you find a good used part too if you go that way.. Just let me know and we can go from there.
Vengence likes this.