Spark plug question

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JonN
  • 1 Post By Vengence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2020, 04:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Spark plug question

I recently ordered and then cancelled the order because of what others were saying. But, I purchased NGK GP Platinum Spark Plug 5017 for my 2003 Non Turbo PT and have been advised to get double platinum spark plugs instead because the engine/system fires each plug twice a cycle.

Is this true or would I be fine with just the platinum NGK's instead of the double platinum spark plugs which would also be NGK?

I already ordered new plug wires and coil pack as I am doing a full tune up. The PT is 17 years old now and has 60k miles and everything is original equiptment so i think its due for new plugs, wires and coil pack. (Yes, timing was has been done already)

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Justin
Old 09 Apr 2020, 04:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Spark plug question

First, take ALL internet information about spark plugs with a grain of salt. For some reason, the subject of spark plugs is kind of like politics for car guys and gals. The best of this dubious information about some brands of platinum plugs is that they will break down in turbocharged cars. And much of this info is about plugs with platinum plated electrodes and not solid platinum wire. You should be fine with platinum plugs in an NA PT Cruisers.

The next posts you see after mine will likely advise you that platinum plugs are of no advantage and you should run copper plugs. Many recommend Champion since that's what came new in many PT's. I dislike Champion due to their extremely poor quality back in the 1970's and 80's. And I haven't gotten over it. Regular NGK V-Power plugs are my plug of choice because, like my women, I like my plugs cheap and good. But truthfully, any name brand plug will be fine in an NA PT Cruiser as long as it's gapped correctly.

And to properly initiate this thread of spark plug preferences. Here's a video of me playing along with a spark plug gapping tool. Enjoy!

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Apr 2020 at 04:49 pm.
Old 09 Apr 2020, 05:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

When the previous owner of my now '05 GT went to the dealer, among the first things they did was take out a brand new set of platinum NGKs - like I've used in al my PTs - and replace with Champion coppers.

Of course they also replace several other brand new parts (e.g. coil pack, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor) with Genuine MOPAR branded stuff at full price.

When it left my driveway, it started immediately. When it came back - as it still does - it cranks for 5+ every time it is started.

I still blame the Champion plugs and need to swap them out soon.

Oh, and I always gap them at about 35 thousandths, not the 50 in the specs. Just seems to fire more quickly.

An extra 2 cents.

Bob in Liberty MO
Old 09 Apr 2020, 05:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

Handy said it perfectly. You wouldn't believe how much fuss and arguments I've seen over spark plugs.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

#LoudLife
Old 09 Apr 2020, 07:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Cool thank you everyone!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.