Advertisements
OBD Pending Code?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2020, 11:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Default OBD Pending Code?

I have an OBD reader and when i connect it to my 08 PT, it shows Pending Code- P0302- Cylinder 2 misfire.

Story- I have had my 08 PT stored on a tender since October 2019. I have not been able to go and start it as often as I would have liked. So one time it sat for about 2 months. In January this year, I went to start and check engine light came on. P0302. Let it sit for a few minutes and started it again. CEL did NOT come back and car seemed to run as it should nice and smooth. Since then, I started it at least once every 2 weeks. the CEL has not come back on, car seems to be running smooth and running on all 4.

Yesterday I replaced the radiator and had it warming up for quite some time. Still seems perfect. But, the code stays pending. What does this actually mean? Is it still happning or is the system saying it happened once and it's just monitoring for the same code again? Or what?
Old 01 May 2020, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: OBD Pending Code?

Clear the Code.

If it returns then you have a long checklist of possible causes.

If you have access with your OBDII diagnostic tool and are using it connected to the diagnostic connector and not blue tooth go into the monitors see what is in fault. Reset them and then re-check after a couple days even if you do not get a DTC.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 May 2020, 05:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Clear the Code.

If it returns then you have a long checklist of possible causes.

If you have access with your OBDII diagnostic tool and are using it connected to the diagnostic connector and not blue tooth go into the monitors see what is in fault. Reset them and then re-check after a couple days even if you do not get a DTC.
Kind of hard to do. I could clear the code yes, but no way to reset sensors and all. Car has no plates and cant be driven legally. The PT as of now is running on all 4 cylinders. Smoothly. No issues as of so far. Ijust replaced the radiator and thermostat and bled the system and all while running, bleeding and troubleshooting, she was nice and smooth. Even ran the AC fir a bit and all was well.

The code is still pending but the way I was told is that it will stay pending unless the issue resurfaced again? Is that right or am I wrong? I use a actual OBD and not the bluetooth garbage. Aside from the expensive ones mechs use. Those arent garbage. Lol.
Old 01 May 2020, 07:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

My 04 had an occasional miss fire prior to and while I owned it. I finally got fed up and started swapping parts between the cylinders. When the miss moved to a different cylinder I knew I found the culprit. Didn't need a fancy scanner.
PS Code might have set because of a single not recurring event.

Last edited by circus; 01 May 2020 at 07:33 pm.
Old 01 May 2020, 09:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Swapping parts trying to solve a problem is always a bad idea with any car trying to find a problem. The chances of creating more problems to solve is high! Read any good service manual manual and you can find better problem solving trees when followed will take you to the issue.
__________________________________________________ _________

The DTC will remain until the issue is fixed or if it was generated by anomalous conditions will simply clear after the next 3 complete engine cycles or drive the PT for about 50 miles or 30 minutes at a good highway speed.
If the DTC remains then it would be good to look at the monitors to see which emission system is effected which may be a clue to solving the problem.

Your OBDII diagnostic tool should be able to clear the DTC at least to see if it returns. If it does return you have a problem that needs to be found.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 May 2020, 10:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

If there's a complaint I have with new cars it's the expensive scanners and data needed for the simplest tasks. My relations scheduled maintenance cost more than my car.
Old 02 May 2020, 12:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Swapping parts trying to solve a problem is always a bad idea with any car trying to find a problem. The chances of creating more problems to solve is high! Read any good service manual manual and you can find better problem solving trees when followed will take you to the issue.
__________________________________________________ _________

The DTC will remain until the issue is fixed or if it was generated by anomalous conditions will simply clear after the next 3 complete engine cycles or drive the PT for about 50 miles or 30 minutes at a good highway speed.
If the DTC remains then it would be good to look at the monitors to see which emission system is effected which may be a clue to solving the problem.

Your OBDII diagnostic tool should be able to clear the DTC at least to see if it returns. If it does return you have a problem that needs to be found.
Well, cant drive it. If i clear the code then ill reset the sensors as well. Without beibg avle to drive it, the sensors wont reset to normal. No one will buy it then. What do you mean by next 3 complete engine cycles? Like start, warm to temp and shut off and repeat 3 times?
Old 02 May 2020, 01:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Can't you just disconnect the battery + cable from the battery, and then ground it for a couple seconds? ( I use a little alligator clip to connect the + cable to ground). I believe this resets the ECU completely and clears all codes, including 'pending' ones...
Old 02 May 2020, 06:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Can't you just disconnect the battery + cable from the battery, and then ground it for a couple seconds? ( I use a little alligator clip to connect the + cable to ground). I believe this resets the ECU completely and clears all codes, including 'pending' ones...
That too resets sensors as well i believe. Plus, it will show that battery was disconnected in the obd.

Many people near me do that when selling a car to get people to buy the car with no CEL. But then after everything gets set the CEL pops on and the person is screwed after that.
Old 02 May 2020, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Misconception about the battery disconnect to reset re-set a ECU generated DTC... It only turns off the light on the dash it does not do anything else. I have said so many times those that do this if thinking they clear a DTC only need go to the monitors and see that you didn't really do anything to solve the original problem!

A drive cycle is starting the engine from cold and getting all operations to normal temperature which during this warm up period the ECU runs through all the systems for correctness.

You can't cheat the ECU they were programmed so you can not by-pass the normal DTC except to re-set the light or clear a code which the ECU will normally run the system check again. If the DTC cause was corrected the DTC will not return. Re-setting may be perceived by some as speeding the process of systems check to see if an early DTC gets reported again or if the original DTC was caused by simply an anomalous set of conditions. These anomalous DTC seems to be a frequency with some platforms as the vehicle get older or very high mileage? This is why many times after clearing a DTC they return after minutes or a day or so of normal driving, the original problem that the DTC was generated was not corrected. You can clear/re-set the monitors but this will place all of them in fault/ RED until a single drive or several drive cycles because these are emission system monitors. Otherwise many would be cheating regarding the registration and sales of vehicle in some countries and states in the USA to hide an unresolved problem by simply turning off the dash engine check light!
Vengence likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 02 May 2020 at 11:05 am. Reason: had to go pull curtains down for cleaning in the middle of my response lol